Question Brown Hair Algae

schmath

New Member
Member
Messages
35
Reaction score
10
IMG_2134.JPG

Anyone know what I’m doing wrong to get this brown hair algae and why I have no nitrates? I have a low tech 5.5 gallon tank with 2 sponge filters and UNS Controsoil substrate planted with anacharis, pearl weed, and Anubias petite. I’ve have diatoms for the life of this tank (maybe a year?) I tested for silicates, and sure enough, my tap water has a little. So I tried pre-filtering water for water changes with phosguard, but I knew I couldn’t do that long-term, so I just put the HOB with phosguard right in the tank for a week. I didn’t leave it in because the HOB was too strong for my betta, but ever since I took it out, I’ve had this brown hair algae. I just tested my water after not changing the water for 10 days and the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates were all at 0!? I retested the nitrates, carefully following the directions, and still 0. They’re usually at least 10 or 20 and I expected them to be on the high side since I’d put off the water change. So after the water change I added .5 ml thrive. I hadn’t been fertilizing to see if that made a difference. The old growth with the algae on it looks melty, but the new growth is green and algae free even without fertilizer. The light is on for 5 hours/day and the tank does get some sunlight when the blinds are open, maybe a couple hours/day. The tank went through a rescape/substrate change and subsequent minI cycle a few months ago.
 

CheshireKat

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,163
Reaction score
519
Location
California
Experience
More than 10 years
The algae is probably using up the nitrates. Maybe the light is too strong? The sunlight in particular, although I get no algae from the sunlight (unless my platies and mollies eat it before I see it).
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
schmath

schmath

New Member
Member
Messages
35
Reaction score
10
CheshireKat said:
The algae is probably using up the nitrates. Maybe the light is too strong? The sunlight in particular, although I get no algae from the sunlight (unless my platies and mollies eat it before I see it).
I've suspected my light was too strong for a while. It's a Finnex Stingray and is supposedly good for low/medium plants, but I think it's too much for my little tank. I should have gone with a light with a dimmer.
 

CheshireKat

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,163
Reaction score
519
Location
California
Experience
More than 10 years
can you get a dimmer/timer to plug into the light? That's what I did with mine. Alternatively, you can raise the light up so it's not so intense and close to the aquarium?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
schmath

schmath

New Member
Member
Messages
35
Reaction score
10
Update: hair algae is mostly gone. I'm not sure what made the difference, but the changes I made were
1. I lowered my photoperiod to 4 hours/day,
2. I turned down the heat to 79, and
3. I started dosing .5ml thrive after each water change.
Still lots of diatoms, but there are silicates in the tap, so I don't expect them to go away. They've been present for the whole year I've had the tank.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
schmath

schmath

New Member
Member
Messages
35
Reaction score
10
Oh, also I lowered the water level down about an inch below the lid. (just because I didn't have enough treated water on hand to fill it completely.) I don't know if that made a difference, but the algae disappeared almost overnight after that water change, so maybe?
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
213
Guests online
3,347
Total visitors
3,560

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom