Betta with possible dropsy? (Unsure-help) - Page 2

Fishstery

So I have made a previous post about my betta Kyo flashing. I have noticed he was flashing especially after water changes for the past 2 weeks. I tried paraguard with no resolve, and after posting here about it I decided to try prazipro. The prazi seemed to do the trick, as I was suspecting gill flukes, and he was great for the week after that. This morning I turned on his lights and noticed he was sitting at the bottom of the tank. Today was water change day, and for the most part he hasn't left the bottom of the tank now. He flashed like crazy during the water change, but will come up for air and food. His abdomen is slightly bloated, however no pineconing. Just lack of activity, slight clamping, flashing after WC, and slight bloating. Im worried now that the gill flukes may have caused dropsy as a secondary bacterial infection from stress? I'm at a loss of what to do now, I did a 1/4 recommended dose of melafix (let me say again that I did a QUARTER dose of the bottle directions) and ONLY because this is all I have on hand for any type of bacterial disease. Unfortunately my kanaplex is way past expired, which I didnt notice until now. There is a small local fish store near my house so hopefully when I call tomorrow they have some type of API general cure or the like, although this is my least favorite store even more than petsmart so its a long shot that they would have a useful medication there. I have attached some close pics, which show his bloat. Can anyone help me diagnose this? Still unsure if it even is bacterial or if the flukes could cause bloat. I know he isn't constipated as yesterday was a fast day and I only fed him 2 micro pellets this morning.
Temp is 80, ammonia and nitrite 0ppm nitrate less than 5ppm.

20210213_191434.jpg
20210213_191429.jpg
20210213_191410.jpg

Fishstery

oh that good to hear! i think you should continue with the treatment for a little bit longer just in case it comes back
I wasnt sure if I should continue to use the medication and epsom baths as I noticed it was starting to severely stress him out

Upvote 0

grac3

maybe not as often as you did, maybe like every 3-4 days

Upvote 0

Fishstery

This is my last update unless something bad happens, but I will make an additional update a few weeks from now to let you guys know if this lasts. Kyo is very well today, swimming and being much more active, eating, and his pineconing is definitely gone. His bloat is gone on one side, and he is slightly bloated on the other but not alarming. He looks like ate too much. I'll be doing his water change tonight and the methylene blue will arrive tomorrow. I plan on using the methylene blue for about a week or so. If he stays well until the middle of March he will be graduating back to a display tank thank you so much to the members who followed this thread and kept my spirits high and gave Kyo get well wishes! I hope that someone may stumble across this thread trying to treat their bettas with early symptomatic dropsy, and maybe help them turn their bettas health around too! As of right now I have miraculously cured this bout of dropsy, but only time will tell if it will return again or if Kyo suffered permanent organ damage.

Edit: I wanted to post one last picture so people can see his progress since his treatment

Here's from the first 3 days after I noticed the pineconing

20210213_191410.jpg

IMG_20210221_033740.jpg

And here's tonight, just waiting for his coloring to return although it may just be because I have no light on the hospital tank

20210226_222023.jpg

20210226_223303.jpg
20210226_223702.jpg

Upvote 0

Fishstery

Just a quick kyo update for you guys! It has been almost a month now since I noticed his dropsy symptoms. He is doing so so well! He is very happy and hungry always and honestly it's hard to get any good pictures of him right now because he's always on the move zipping around! His hole in head is slowly healing as well as his dorsal fin, his coloring is returning and I have observed 0 signs of pineconing. Currently he is still in his hospital tank with methylene blue and every other day water changes. He will keep this routine until the end of next week when I will remove the methlyene blue, because he needs to get used to unmedicated water as the following week he will be graduating out of the hospital tank and into his new 5 gallon pond! Here's pictures of the little boy tonight right after I fed him

20210305_191733.jpg
20210305_191717.jpg
20210305_191308.jpg
20210304_201636.jpg

Attachments

• 20210304_201414.jpg
    20210304_201414.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 11
Upvote 0

betta06

sorry but I think my betta might have dropsy and wondered what treatment you think worked best for Kyo?

luckily if it is dropsy it is pretty mild 9like the first picture of kyo) so i am hoping i will still be able to treat it

Upvote 0

Fishstery

sorry but I think my betta might have dropsy and wondered what treatment you think worked best for Kyo?

luckily if it is dropsy it is pretty mild 9like the first picture of kyo) so i am hoping i will still be able to treat it
I highly recommend reading through my thread from the beginning it will let you know everything I did exactly, step by step. But hospital tank for sure, daily 100% water changes (since you can't have any type of cycled filter due to the antibacterial meds) and kanaplex +furan 2 followed by a separate treatment of general cure with daily epsom baths for (approx) 8 days and eventually just methylene blue. The whole process for him is going on over a month now I believe but at this point he was cured of the dropsy around 2 weeks ago.

Upvote 0

Fishstery

Hey guys one last update! Last night Kyo made it into the pond he really loves the tiger lotus and uses the leaves as a bed which is adorable. He also managed to get up on the slope near the emersed bank and nestle down in a tuft of monte carlo which I thought was adorable. No worries about the rock wall as I stuffed filter floss in all the cracks to keep him out and the aqua soil in. In 2-3 weeks he will be getting 6 tiny pygmy cory roommates after they're done in the QT tank. His spine seems to be slightly curved either as a result from the healed up dropsy or just genetics, so he swims at a diagonal angle now with his head up and his tail downward and he needs to lay and rest often but he seems to be in great health. Hopefully due to his "swimming issue" he won't try and chase the cories around. Here's some pictures of him and the tank! Thanks for following on his progress guys!

20210319_153558.jpg
20210319_153401.jpg
20210318_181117.jpg

Upvote 0

betta06

Hey guys one last update! Last night Kyo made it into the pond he really loves the tiger lotus and uses the leaves as a bed which is adorable. He also managed to get up on the slope near the emersed bank and nestle down in a tuft of monte carlo which I thought was adorable. No worries about the rock wall as I stuffed filter floss in all the cracks to keep him out and the aqua soil in. In 2-3 weeks he will be getting 6 tiny pygmy cory roommates after they're done in the QT tank. His spine seems to be slightly curved either as a result from the healed up dropsy or just genetics, so he swims at a diagonal angle now with his head up and his tail downward and he needs to lay and rest often but he seems to be in great health. Hopefully due to his "swimming issue" he won't try and chase the cories around. Here's some pictures of him and the tank! Thanks for following on his progress guys!

20210319_153558.jpg
20210319_153401.jpg
20210318_181117.jpg
wow it looks so good! I love your choice of plants and the wood looks awesome he is such lucky boy!

Upvote 0

Fishstery

T
wow it looks so good! I love your choice of plants and the wood looks awesome he is such lucky boy!
Thank you! This is my first time trying emersed plants and they're a mix of in vitro and potted plants. There's been a big initial dry out of most of the plants even with multiple mistings a day so fingers crossed the roots take and in a week or two I can trim off the dry stuff and new shoots will sprout up.

Upvote 0

Fishstery

Some sad news, Kyos condition seems to have returned. Hes been bloated and laying around for the past 3 days, I've seen some very very slight pineconing but I wouldn't say full blown dropsy yet. I'm unsure if he will make it past this point, I'm going to fast him for a few days to see if the bloat will go away on its own. He shoots up when I get near the tank to beg for food, he still has an appetite but then goes to lay back down on the lotus leaves.. my instincts are telling me somethings wrong with him. I'll update to let you guys know what happens. I'm not going to treat him again as I don't want to put him through another month of heavy medication, so if he really does have dropsy again I will just let him live out the rest of his time peacefully in his pond.

Upvote 0

Sophie292

Hi Fishstery, your conditions for your betta seem really good, could it be something to do with what you are feeding him?

Upvote 0

Fishstery

Hi Fishstery, your conditions for your betta seem really good, could it be something to do with what you are feeding him?
I dont expect anyone to read back the entire thread at this point since it's gotten quite long, but to summarize for you he had dropsy over a month ago that I managed to cure him from surprisingly but i knew that the kidney damage could have been permanent and that it was something that could reoccur over time. His kidneys took a huge hit from all the fluid buildup in addition to the medication (I treated it aggressively since the fatality rate with dropsy is so high) he was good for the first week and a half in his new tank but seems to have succumbed again.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
Analisemcg
Replies
Views
Chrisfish7887
Replies