Question Betta Very Curious About Mystery Snail, Is This Aggression Or Curiosity?

Taradane

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My Betta fish seems to hover around the Mystery snail but doesn't SEEM to be obviously aggressive? Is this just curiosity or being territorial? The snail does not seem to mind since he comes out of his shell regardless of if the fish is near and does not flinch when the fish approaches

NYFishGuy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Snail antenna looks like worms I think, occasionally they get pecked at. I don't think its a big deal

OP
Taradane

Taradane

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
NYFishGuy said:
Snail antenna looks like worms I think, occasionally they get pecked at. I don't think its a big deal
Thank you!

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If it's a newly introduced snail, then it might just be curiosity. However mystery snails have a higher risk of their antennas getting nipped off because it does look like worms to the betta. If so, it might be best to remove him as it will most likely repeat. But for now just monitor the two.

OP
Taradane

Taradane

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay thank you. There hasnt been any biting or flaring from the betta so I think he must like his company? He sleeps near the snail alot.

LagerthaM

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Taradane said:
Okay thank you. There hasnt been any biting or flaring from the betta so I think he must like his company? He sleeps near the snail alot.
That's honestly adorable to picture. Mystery snails and bettas can be hit or miss, sometimes they don't make good tank mates because bettas are curious and aggressive. From what you have said it definitely sounds like curiosity. Your betta might think he is a rock and is confused about why it's moving! I don't think you have anything to worry about.

LHanna61

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How big is your tank? If it's under 5 gallons, it could would most likely be a territorial thing ESPECIALLY if the snail was added afterwards. What else is in your tank? If the decor takes up too much space, that could cause a behavioral/spacial imbalance (Witnessed that first hand with neon tetras)

Carmen79

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Taradane said:
That's so cute, wish my betta was so forgiving.
How big is your tank? And how long since you have them?

New Threads