Aquaclear 50 Problem After Water Change.

Lantonor
After I do a water change, my Aquaclear 50 barely works. Before I plug the filter back in after the water change, I fill it up with water and then plug it in, but then it only trickles water out. I don't understand why it does this. If I take the whole filter apart, rinse everything off, put vaseline on the impeller shaft, and put everything back together, then it flows water out properly. There is also a bubble on the intake shaft (on the bend where it goes down with the piece of plastic on top to control flow), not sure if this matters though. Does anyone know what this happens? The impeller is sucking up water obviously, but it feels like it isn't enough for a steady flow.

Ohio Mark
I may be wrong on this one... I have several Aquaclears in different sizes. I bought a brush on Amazon that is perfect for cleaning the pipes. Once a month, I take the whole filter apart for cleaning and sometimes I am amazed at how much gunk accumulates.

Okay -- now re-read your post. Strange it happens just after a WC! I took a look at mine and there are no "bubbles" in my intake. Hopefully someone can chime in on this...

WTFish?
I don’t have an aqua clear but my fluval started doing this when I changed to sand. It’s always the impeller. I’ve since put a sponge on the intake tube so it has helped. Instead of very water change, it’s now every 3-4 that I have to clean the impeller.

mossman
If I'm understanding you correctly, this sounds pretty normal after you've unplugged the filter and reduced the water level. You have to purge all the air out before suction is restored to normal. I've found that adjusting the flow to the minimum position primes the filter the quickest.

WTFish?
If I'm understanding you correctly, this sounds pretty normal after you've unplugged the filter and reduced the water level. You have to purge all the air out before suction is restored to normal. I've found that adjusting the flow to the minimum position primes the filter the quickest.
Oh yes, true for mine as well. When priming on high it gurgles and takes forever, on low is quick, then adjust as needed.

mossman
...and I'll also remove the lid, scoop some water out of the tank, and pour it into the intake compartment while it is purging. Seems to help.

A201
I've got three Aqua Clears, 2x 110's, 1x 30. Each have their own quirks. The small one has one similar to yours.
Next time your AC 50 acts up. Lift the intake tube out of the filter box, use a plastic straw and poke the impeller through the intake hole. It seems the smaller model AC' S can have partial clogging problems.
I rarely unplug my AC' S during WC'S, unless it's time to squeeze out the sponges. Note: always unplug the heater.

Lantonor
Thank you all for your input! I started tinkering around with what you guys were saying and I decided I'd just try to clean my filter again and see if it'd work. I took the intake sponge off my filter (probably should have mentioned I have that) and it instantly started working again. I guess the sponge was just clogged? Or maybe it's time for a replacement. I did get these sponges pretty cheap too, maybe I should invest in something more coarse/not as squishy.

I may be wrong on this one... I have several Aquaclears in different sizes. I bought a brush on Amazon that is perfect for cleaning the pipes. Once a month, I take the whole filter apart for cleaning and sometimes I am amazed at how much gunk accumulates.

Okay -- now re-read your post. Strange it happens just after a WC! I took a look at mine and there are no "bubbles" in my intake. Hopefully someone can chime in on this...

Do you think you could like me to the brush you use? I just use a toothbrush to clean out my pipes but I could never clean out the curved piece of pipe, that's always the dirtiest of them all.

Ohio Mark
Thank you all for your input! I started tinkering around with what you guys were saying and I decided I'd just try to clean my filter again and see if it'd work. I took the intake sponge off my filter (probably should have mentioned I have that) and it instantly started working again. I guess the sponge was just clogged? Or maybe it's time for a replacement. I did get these sponges pretty cheap too, maybe I should invest in something more coarse/not as squishy.

Do you think you could like me to the brush you use? I just use a toothbrush to clean out my pipes but I could never clean out the curved piece of pipe, that's always the dirtiest of them all.

Let me know if this doesn't work. (I am NOT good with computers!)

WTFish?
Let me know if this doesn't work. (I am NOT good with computers!)
Oh I like that, my curved tube is disgusting too! The link worked, thanks Mark!

Ohio Mark
It works great on the straight tubes -- not so great getting around the L-shaped parts. I have used a hummingbird-feeder brush for that and a time or two soaked that part in denture cleaner overnight. (I have extra L-shaped tubes.)

WTFish?
It works great on the straight tubes -- not so great getting around the L-shaped parts. I have used a hummingbird-feeder brush for that and a time or two soaked that part in denture cleaner overnight. (I have extra L-shaped tubes.)
Yeah mine is an almost complete “L” shape too, very funky. My hummingbird brush doesn’t get it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CindyVBPets
  • Question
Replies
Views
Mike999
Replies
Views
ForceTen
Replies