Anyone Here Like To Cook/bake?

Discussion in 'Our Other Interests' started by Lchi87, May 17, 2017.

1. Lchi87

Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

I can't be the only one! Thought it might be fun to start this thread; I'd love to swap recipes or have others share tips and tricks. :)

Made some really great roast chicken awhile back!
    2a28d71d54eaf3b4eb1b790b86b0ce2d.jpg

EDIT:
    Here's the recipe!

Preheat oven to 375

Halve some heads of garlic
    Slice potatoes, onions, carrots, celery (turnips work well here too)
    Coat the bottom of your roasting pan in olive oil. Line it with your sliced potatoes. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Toss in the onions, carrots, celery and garlic heads. Make a bed of rosemary and thyme.

Chicken:
    Dry your thighs THOROUGHLY. In a small bowl, mix a package of italian seasoning, 1 tsp pepper, and 1 tsp baking powder ( secret to crispy skin!). Combine well. Season chicken with mixture.

Lay chicken on your bed of veggies and aromatics. Halve a lemon, squeeze over veggies and put the halves in the roasting pan with the veggies. Season the veggies with any leftover chicken seasoning.

Place in oven on middle rack and roast uncovered for about an hour, then raise temperature to 400 and bake for another 15 minutes to an internal temp of at least 165F.

If its lacking color, broil on high for a few minutes but watch it like a hawk!

Let rest 5-10 minutes and enjoy! The potatoes and veggies will absorb any chicken fatty goodness and the garlic heads should be roasted enough to squeeze out and spread on some bread. Yum....:p

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  2. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

You have touched my heart Lchi87 :emoji_heart:

I love to cook and in the past couple of years I have become a pretty decent home baker. I hardly ever buy bread anymore and I'm proud of it.

You're roast chicken looks amazing. I've got some leg quarters in the freezer so I'd love to hear your recipe. :) I'm particular to roasting them with seasoned salt and dill, yum!

Edit: If anyone is interested in a super easy and delicious homemade bread recipe, give this one a try.

3. KinsKicks

KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

OMG I love this idea! Ok at cooking. Baking is much more fun! This was a birthday cake :) (and that chicken looks super good!)

Attached Files:

4. stella1979

Nice job!

5. Nada Mucho

Nada MuchoWell Known MemberMember

Cook yes, bake no. Baking takes way too much attention and timing of which I am in short supply. My best recipe is probably Baked Ziti and I've attached the recipe to this comment. Finding the pasta can sometimes be a challenge on the West Coast but you are in Jersey (my old stomping ground) and you'll find it easily.

54590_640x428.jpg

Attached Files:

6. grantm91

grantm91Fishlore VIPMember

I like to think im ok, im the one to cook most nights and im big on food lol

Tonights dish
    bfd226141549e2b0c42b14467bbbaf63.jpg
    Bbq jacket spud, diced and baked bbq sweet pottato, green beans, butterfly jerk chicken.

7. Nanologist

NanologistWell Known MemberMember

Yum yum! That looks delish. :hungry:

Here's a pic of one of my recent creations.

Mango Glazed Salmon with Apple and Avocado on a bed of Spring Salad with Sweet Onion and Carrot tossed in Lemon Vinaigrette
    7E1B8838-2564-49AA-B70B-57C497FBB07F.JPG

8. stella1979

Here's a cherry pie I made not too long ago. Wish I had thought of taking a picture after it was baked!
    20161118_112317.jpg

9. grantm91

grantm91Fishlore VIPMember

Your dish looks like pasta bake, in the uk theres a sauce that comes in a jar and you put it in a oven dish with pasta and a bit of water bake for 25-30 mins then take it out layer the to with cheese and bake for a further 20, me being the greedy guy i am i layer the top first with Doritos then cheese and omg that is the stuff lol.

10. DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

I am a baker!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2018
  11. Nada Mucho

Nada MuchoWell Known MemberMember

I think you need a helper monkey until the kids get old enough to put em to work. :)

Lets give you the test sir. Is your favorite personal fragrance Patchouli? :yuck:

12. OP
    OP
    Lchi87

Wow, guys; everything looks amazing and my mouth is watering! I've posted the recipe to my chicken in the original post if anyone wants it. :)

Are those leaves you topped your pie with? :)
    ef0ef11c8575512893382b59652f50a7.jpg
    Great minds think alike!

Have you checked out Joule by chefsteps? Its their sous vide tool and my new favorite way to cook... You can get perfectly cooked food without having to watch it and nothing is ever dry or undercooked!!

13. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOoWell Known MemberMember

Tomato soup casserole

1 Lb ground beef
    1 Lb dry noodles (I use macaroni)
    1 small can of tomato soup

In a pan, brown the beef. Cook noodles in a pot to your preferred chewiness(doneness?)

Add drained noodles to the beef pan, mix in tomato soup. Simmer a few more minutes and enjoy!

14. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

A southern staple is chicken spaghetti, and my family LOVES the recipe I use. And you make it in one big pot (you're gonna need a big stock pot) and a skillet, so super easy clean up!

3-4 lbs chicken (original recipe calls for a whole chicken, I've used thighs and breasts, now I'm lazy and use boneless/skinless breasts)
    1.5 pkgs spaghetti noodles
    2 cans cream of chicken
    2 cans cream of mushroom
    Bell pepper
    Onion
    1 cup hopped celery
    Garlic clove
    Stick of butter
    Shredded cheddar cheese

Boil the chicken for about 45 minutes, or until done. Remove from broth.
    In broth, boil spaghetti until done
    Chop bell pepper, onion, garlic and celery, sauté in 1/2 stick of butter until soft. Add veggies to broth. Boil.
    Add soups. Bring to boil.
    Shred chicken and add to pot. Then add desired amount of cheese (orig recipe calls for a cup, I use like 6). Stir until melted.
    Serve! Makes enough to feed an army, too! Leftovers are just as good as fresh!

15. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOoWell Known MemberMember

And another one

Corned beef casserole

1 can of corned beef
    1 can cream of celery
    1 can cream of chicken
    16 oz dry egg noodles
    Milk

Cook and drain noodles.
    In a separate bowl, mix together the corned beef, cream of celery, and cream of chicken. Add enough milk to make it easy to stir. Not soupy, but so that it can be mixed with the noodles.

Add mix to noodles and stir.

Yum!

16. OP
    OP
    Lchi87

Going to try this one for sure, I LOVE corned beef!

17. vikingkirken

vikingkirkenWell Known MemberMember

Here's one of my staples, a primal meatball mix that I use for meatballs, burgers, and meatloaf. I don't really measure when I cook, so I approximated... this is a very forgiving recipe. Sometimes I add chopped onion, garlic, or mushrooms as well, if I'm feeling creative.

1-1/2 lb ground beef
    1 medium zucchini, grated
    2 eggs
    ~1-2 tbsp coconut flour
    ~1 tsp salt
    ~1/2 tsp pepper
    ~1 tsp worcestershire sauce

This makes awesome cheeseburgers--always juicy, never dry! And some extra veggies to boot :)

18. OP
    OP
    Lchi87

I personally would roll in patchouli... :D

Okay one more quickie for you guys that like breakfast for dinner ( I do this a lot when I'm short on time and out of inspiration)

Cheese grits with smoked chorizo and a fried egg:
    e3eb6975a1ef8fb7d7c048dadd67e366.jpg

Not the most appetizing looking photo but I promise you, its a party in your mouth.

I use instant grits and cook it according to the package; use a heavy cream instead of milk of you're feeling dangerous haha. Stir in shredded cheddar at the end.

Remove the casing from your chorizo, and stir fry in a pan with some diced onion. Break up the sausage so you get yummy little chunks. Remove from pan and set aside.

In the same pan you used for the chorizo, fry an egg. Best if you leave the yolk on the runny side :)

Assembly:
    Ladle some grits into a bowl, add as much chorizo as you want, and top with your fried egg. Sprinkle in some fresh cilantro; I use a ton ! And you're done!

19. Ohio Mark

Ohio MarkWell Known MemberMember

Oh boy... What a thread to check out in the late afternoon when supper is a few hours away. I'm hungry now!! I will confess I am not very good in the kitchen. (Though I AM good at helping clean up!) But I married an excellent cook & baker. I live in an area known for good food (Ohio's Amish Country) but no one is going to call our cooking lite or health-conscious, but it is good... I'll need to get the recipes for a few of my favorites... Anyone hungry for: Sour-Cream Cherry Pie? Rhubarb Crumb Pie? Chicken Squash Casserole? Barbecued Meatballs?

I'm drooling now....

20. davey456

davey456Valued MemberMember

For the zucchini lovers :) Zucchini Pizza. Very simple to make just white pizza with olive oil, garlic slices, lots of parm cheese and of course the zucchini :) Makes the house smell amazing too lol

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice