Anyone Here Like To Cook/bake?

  • Moderator

Lchi87

Moderator
Member
I can't be the only one! Thought it might be fun to start this thread; I'd love to swap recipes or have others share tips and tricks.

Made some really great roast chicken awhile back!

2a28d71d54eaf3b4eb1b790b86b0ce2d.jpg


EDIT:
Here's the recipe!

Preheat oven to 375

Halve some heads of garlic
Slice potatoes, onions, carrots, celery (turnips work well here too)
Coat the bottom of your roasting pan in olive oil. Line it with your sliced potatoes. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Toss in the onions, carrots, celery and garlic heads. Make a bed of rosemary and thyme.

Chicken:
Dry your thighs THOROUGHLY. In a small bowl, mix a package of italian seasoning, 1 tsp pepper, and 1 tsp baking powder ( secret to crispy skin!). Combine well. Season chicken with mixture.

Lay chicken on your bed of veggies and aromatics. Halve a lemon, squeeze over veggies and put the halves in the roasting pan with the veggies. Season the veggies with any leftover chicken seasoning.

Place in oven on middle rack and roast uncovered for about an hour, then raise temperature to 400 and bake for another 15 minutes to an internal temp of at least 165F.

If its lacking color, broil on high for a few minutes but watch it like a hawk!

Let rest 5-10 minutes and enjoy! The potatoes and veggies will absorb any chicken fatty goodness and the garlic heads should be roasted enough to squeeze out and spread on some bread. Yum....
 
  • Moderator

stella1979

Moderator
Member
You have touched my heart

I love to cook and in the past couple of years I have become a pretty decent home baker. I hardly ever buy bread anymore and I'm proud of it.

You're roast chicken looks amazing. I've got some leg quarters in the freezer so I'd love to hear your recipe. I'm particular to roasting them with seasoned salt and dill, yum!

Edit: If anyone is interested in a super easy and delicious homemade bread recipe, give this one a try.
 

KinsKicks

Member
OMG I love this idea! Ok at cooking. Baking is much more fun! This was a birthday cake (and that chicken looks super good!)
 

Attachments

  • Moderator

stella1979

Moderator
Member
Nice job!
 

Nada Mucho

Member
Cook yes, bake no. Baking takes way too much attention and timing of which I am in short supply. My best recipe is probably Baked ZitI and I've attached the recipe to this comment. Finding the pasta can sometimes be a challenge on the West Coast but you are in Jersey (my old stomping ground) and you'll find it easily.


54590_640x428.jpg
 

Attachments

grantm91

Member
I like to think I'm ok, I'm the one to cook most nights and I'm big on food lol

Tonights dish

bfd226141549e2b0c42b14467bbbaf63.jpg

Bbq jacket spud, diced and baked bbq sweet pottato, green beans, butterfly jerk chicken.
 

Nanologist

Member
Lchi87 said:
I can't be the only one! Thought it might be fun to start this thread; I'd love to swap recipes or have others share tips and tricks.

Made some really great roast chicken awhile back!
Yum yum! That looks delish.

Here's a pic of one of my recent creations.

Mango Glazed Salmon with Apple and Avocado on a bed of Spring Salad with Sweet Onion and Carrot tossed in Lemon Vinaigrette

7E1B8838-2564-49AA-B70B-57C497FBB07F.JPG
 
  • Moderator

stella1979

Moderator
Member
Here's a cherry pie I made not too long ago. Wish I had thought of taking a picture after it was baked!

20161118_112317.jpg
 

grantm91

Member
Nada Mucho said:
Cook yes, bake no. Baking takes way too much attention and timing of which I am in short supply. My best recipe is probably Baked ZitI and I've attached the recipe to this comment. Finding the pasta can sometimes be a challenge on the West Coast but you are in Jersey (my old stomping ground) and you'll find it easily.


54590_640x428.jpg
Your dish looks like pasta bake, in the uk there's a sauce that comes in a jar and you put it in a oven dish with pasta and a bit of water bake for 25-30 mins then take it out layer the to with cheese and bake for a further 20, me being the greedy guy I am I layer the top first with Doritos then cheese and omg that is the stuff lol.
 

Nada Mucho

Member
vikingkirken said:
I love my crockpot, but when you're just eating meat and non-starchy veggies, with no/little carb fillers, that's a whole lot of veggie chopping right there... No matter which way I do it, the prep has to happen at some point!
I think you need a helper monkey until the kids get old enough to put em to work.

greenbonsai said:
Haha! Yeah, I could probably qualify as a hippie in some ways but I do shower daily and I'm no vegan. My favorite food is basically any BBQ meat and bacon.

I was a chef before I became a website designer. Got to cook for some celebrities and millionaires before hanging up the apron professionally. My gf is the only one that benefits from my culinary skills now. Well, and sometimes the cats.
Lets give you the test sir. Is your favorite personal fragrance Patchouli? :yuck:
 
  • Moderator
  • Thread Starter

Lchi87

Moderator
Member
Wow, guys; everything looks amazing and my mouth is watering! I've posted the recipe to my chicken in the original post if anyone wants it.


stella1979 said:
Here's a cherry pie I made not too long ago. Wish I had thought of taking a picture after it was baked!

20161118_112317.jpg
Are those leaves you topped your pie with?

ef0ef11c8575512893382b59652f50a7.jpg

Great minds think alike!




Have you checked out Joule by chefsteps? Its their sous vide tool and my new favorite way to cook... You can get perfectly cooked food without having to watch it and nothing is ever dry or undercooked!!
 

oOBlueOo

Member
Tomato soup casserole

1 Lb ground beef
1 Lb dry noodles (I use macaroni)
1 small can of tomato soup

In a pan, brown the beef. Cook noodles in a pot to your preferred chewiness(doneness?)

Add drained noodles to the beef pan, mix in tomato soup. Simmer a few more minutes and enjoy!
 

AngelTheGypsy

Member
A southern staple is chicken spaghetti, and my family LOVES the recipe I use. And you make it in one big pot (you're gonna need a big stock pot) and a skillet, so super easy clean up!

3-4 lbs chicken (original recipe calls for a whole chicken, I've used thighs and breasts, now I'm lazy and use boneless/skinless breasts)
1.5 pkgs spaghettI noodles
2 cans cream of chicken
2 cans cream of mushroom
Bell pepper
Onion
1 cup hopped celery
Garlic clove
Stick of butter
Shredded cheddar cheese

Boil the chicken for about 45 minutes, or until done. Remove from broth.
In broth, boil spaghettI until done
Chop bell pepper, onion, garlic and celery, sauté in 1/2 stick of butter until soft. Add veggies to broth. Boil.
Add soups. Bring to boil.
Shred chicken and add to pot. Then add desired amount of cheese (orig recipe calls for a cup, I use like 6). Stir until melted.
Serve! Makes enough to feed an army, too! Leftovers are just as good as fresh!
 

oOBlueOo

Member
And another one

Corned beef casserole

1 can of corned beef
1 can cream of celery
1 can cream of chicken
16 oz dry egg noodles
Milk

Cook and drain noodles.
In a separate bowl, mix together the corned beef, cream of celery, and cream of chicken. Add enough milk to make it easy to stir. Not soupy, but so that it can be mixed with the noodles.

Add mix to noodles and stir.

Yum!
 
  • Moderator
  • Thread Starter

Lchi87

Moderator
Member
oOBlueOo said:
And another one

Corned beef casserole

1 can of corned beef
1 can cream of celery
1 can cream of chicken
16 oz dry egg noodles
Milk

Cook and drain noodles.
In a separate bowl, mix together the corned beef, cream of celery, and cream of chicken. Add enough milk to make it easy to stir. Not soupy, but so that it can be mixed with the noodles.

Add mix to noodles and stir.

Yum!
Going to try this one for sure, I LOVE corned beef!
 

vikingkirken

Member
Here's one of my staples, a primal meatball mix that I use for meatballs, burgers, and meatloaf. I don't really measure when I cook, so I approximated... this is a very forgiving recipe. Sometimes I add chopped onion, garlic, or mushrooms as well, if I'm feeling creative.

1-1/2 lb ground beef
1 medium zucchini, grated
2 eggs
~1-2 tbsp coconut flour
~1 tsp salt
~1/2 tsp pepper
~1 tsp worcestershire sauce

This makes awesome cheeseburgers--always juicy, never dry! And some extra veggies to boot
 
  • Moderator
  • Thread Starter

Lchi87

Moderator
Member
I personally would roll in patchouli...

Okay one more quickie for you guys that like breakfast for dinner ( I do this a lot when I'm short on time and out of inspiration)

Cheese grits with smoked chorizo and a fried egg:

e3eb6975a1ef8fb7d7c048dadd67e366.jpg


Not the most appetizing looking photo but I promise you, its a party in your mouth.

I use instant grits and cook it according to the package; use a heavy cream instead of milk of you're feeling dangerous haha. Stir in shredded cheddar at the end.

Remove the casing from your chorizo, and stir fry in a pan with some diced onion. Break up the sausage so you get yummy little chunks. Remove from pan and set aside.

In the same pan you used for the chorizo, fry an egg. Best if you leave the yolk on the runny side

Assembly:
Ladle some grits into a bowl, add as much chorizo as you want, and top with your fried egg. Sprinkle in some fresh cilantro; I use a ton ! And you're done!
 

Ohio Mark

Member
Oh boy... What a thread to check out in the late afternoon when supper is a few hours away. I'm hungry now!! I will confess I am not very good in the kitchen. (Though I AM good at helping clean up!) But I married an excellent cook & baker. I live in an area known for good food (Ohio's Amish Country) but no one is going to call our cooking lite or health-conscious, but it is good... I'll need to get the recipes for a few of my favorites... Anyone hungry for: Sour-Cream Cherry Pie? Rhubarb Crumb Pie? Chicken Squash Casserole? Barbecued Meatballs?

I'm drooling now....
 

davey456

Member
For the zucchinI lovers ZucchinI Pizza. Very simple to make just white pizza with olive oil, garlic slices, lots of parm cheese and of course the zucchinI Makes the house smell amazing too lol
 

Attachments

  • Moderator
  • Thread Starter

Lchi87

Moderator
Member
Ohio Mark said:
Oh boy... What a thread to check out in the late afternoon when supper is a few hours away. I'm hungry now!! I will confess I am not very good in the kitchen. (Though I AM good at helping clean up!) But I married an excellent cook & baker. I live in an area known for good food (Ohio's Amish Country) but no one is going to call our cooking lite or health-conscious, but it is good... I'll need to get the recipes for a few of my favorites... Anyone hungry for: Sour-Cream Cherry Pie? Rhubarb Crumb Pie? Chicken Squash Casserole? Barbecued Meatballs?

I'm drooling now....
I am intrigued by the barbequed meatballs...BBQ is my favorite food, hands down, forever.
 

Ohio Mark

Member
I'll get the recipe at home this evening and put it on here tomorrow. It's one of our family favorites, especially with mashed potatoes, some gravy, and a tangy salad. BBQ is great!! Recently we had a new one... BBQ chicken salad. It was good! If I remember right, it was spinach with the usual cheery tomato, grated cheese, etc., but strips of grilled chicken added and a very good barbecue dressing.
 

oOBlueOo

Member
Lchi87 said:
Going to try this one for sure, I LOVE corned beef!
It's delicious

You can also add seasoning, veggies, and cheese. But I usually just inhale it the way it is
 
  • Moderator

stella1979

Moderator
Member
Lchi87 said:
Are those leaves you topped your pie with?

ef0ef11c8575512893382b59652f50a7.jpg

Great minds think alike!
Great minds indeed! I found my leaf stamps at a craft store after Thanksgiving. They were on clearance for $1 for four of them. That pie was my first trial with them. I'll have to take more care with placement and photography next time so I can show off a pie as pretty as yours.
 
  • Moderator
  • Thread Starter

Lchi87

Moderator
Member
stella1979 said:
Great minds indeed! I found my leaf stamps at a craft store after Thanksgiving. They were on clearance for $1 for four of them. That pie was my first trial with them. I'll have to take more care with placement and photography next time so I can show off a pie as pretty as yours.
I'm sure your pie was just as pretty I still struggle with keeping the bottom crust dry... I always end up with a soggy bottom crust...delicious, but soggy. :/
 

Bruxes and Bubbles

Member
I like trying out recipes. So far I've made (just listing the ones that tasted good) peanut butter cookies, chocolate chip cookies, whole chicken, and barbecue chicken legs.
 

Ohio Mark

Member
Lchi87 said:
I'm sure your pie was just as pretty I still struggle with keeping the bottom crust dry... I always end up with a soggy bottom crust...delicious, but soggy. :/
Have you ever heard of Shoo Fly Pie? A soggy bottom crust on that is what tastes best. IMO it's right up there with Sour Cream Cheery & Rhubarb Crumb for good pies.
 
  • Moderator
  • Thread Starter

Lchi87

Moderator
Member
Ohio Mark said:
Have you ever heard of Shoo Fly Pie? A soggy bottom crust on that is what tastes best. IMO it's right up there with Sour Cream Cheery & Rhubarb Crumb for good pies.
I have not heard of Shoo Fly pie! I'll have to check it out.

Edit: I am tempted to make this tonight since I have all the ingredients already LOL.
 

Ohio Mark

Member
Do! It's a great breakfast pie!
 

Bettanewb

Member
Ohio Mark said:
Have you ever heard of Shoo Fly Pie? A soggy bottom crust on that is what tastes best. IMO it's right up there with Sour Cream Cheery & Rhubarb Crumb for good pies.
I have heard of it it delicious!
 

Ohio Mark

Member
I think so. Our family really likes it. It is usually made either wet-bottom or dry-bottom, but the wet-bottom is our favorite.

I'm glad I can go home soon... for some reason I'm really hungry!

Lchi87 said:
I have not heard of Shoo Fly pie! I'll have to check it out.

Edit: I am tempted to make this tonight since I have all the ingredients already LOL.
Let me know what you think.
 
  • Moderator

stella1979

Moderator
Member
Ohio Mark I would definitely be interested in your recipes. I LOVE cherry pie so anything that starts with that is good in my book. I'm not sure I've had a sour cream pie before but I remember a distant relative making a blueberry pie with a creamy layer at the bottom. That was so long ago and I've never seen another like it. Please do share that Sour Cream Cherry Pie recipe. Never had Shoo Fly Pie either but I can't wait to try it. I like to do a fancy dinner now and then too but my heart will always be in good old country cookin'. The day I first managed to make biscuits like my Grandma's was a memorable one for me. :joyful:
 

BHK3

Member
I love to cook and bake just about anything! I'm the official roll maker for family dinners. I get major side-eye if I ever show up to our get togethers without a big basket of dinner rolls. :-D

stella1979 said:
Edit: If anyone is interested in a super easy and delicious homemade bread recipe, give this one a try.
stella1979, I'm so excited you shared that recipe! I actually work at King Arthur Flour and that's one of my favorites! When my step-father expressed an interest in learning how to make bread that's the one I sent him. :-D
 

goldface

Member
I enjoy cooking, especially for other people. I'm not the greatest. I've been called Chef Boyardee. Definitely not a compliment.
 

Ohio Mark

Member
stella1979 said:
Ohio Mark I would definitely be interested in your recipes. I LOVE cherry pie so anything that starts with that is good in my book. I'm not sure I've had a sour cream pie before but I remember a distant relative making a blueberry pie with a creamy layer at the bottom. That was so long ago and I've never seen another like it. Please do share that Sour Cream Cherry Pie recipe. Never had Shoo Fly Pie either but I can't wait to try it. I like to do a fancy dinner now and then too but my heart will always be in good old country cookin'. The day I first managed to make biscuits like my Grandma's was a memorable one for me. :joyful:
Okay... here goes the Sour Cream Cherry Pie...

- 3 unbaked pie crusts
- your favorite pie filling (my wife uses homemade/ canned cherry pie filling, but raspberry is good, too.)

Sour Cream Filling:
- 8 oz. cream cheese (softened)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1/2 cup sugar

Mix together and divide in the 3 crusts. Add pie filling. Top with crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until crumbs start to brown. Crumbs will not get soggy. Makes 3 pies.

Crumbs:
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 3/4 cups butter, softened
 

Hill Dweller

Member
I don't mind baking cakes etc, but never have time. I LOATHE day to day cooking and my 3 year old throws me shade for burning her fries haha!
 
  • Moderator

stella1979

Moderator
Member
Oh dear , you just opened a big old can of worms, but that's ok, you can feed them to your fish, lol.

My family thinks I have an unhealthy attachment to KAF. That is to say, if you work on the Baker's Hotline, we've likely been in touch before. I think your company made me the baker that I am. I made a brick of rye bread exactly once before I found you guys. It's been great ever since, and I'm making Caraway Rye today! Did you see my cherry pie? None other than KAF's Presidential Cherry Pie!

Excellent! You know it's a good family recipe when it makes not 1 but 3 pies. Thanks Ohio Mark, and a big to your wife. I like to do as much homemade as possible too.
 

Ohio Mark

Member
Barbecued Meatballs

Meatballs:
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. chilI powder

Sauce:
- 2 cups ketchup (we use homemade)
- 1 Tbsp. liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. prepared mustard

Combine all meatball ingredients in large bowl mixing well with large spoon or your hands. Shape into meatballs and put in a 9X13-inch baking pan (you may need an additional pan to fit all the meatballs) and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Drain excess grease.
In a medium bowl, combine all sauce ingredients. Pour over meatballs and bake 45-60 minutes at 350 degrees.


Our favorite dish to eat with the meatballs...

Grandma's pot-Luck Potatoes

- 3 pounds shredded potatoes
- 1/2 cup melted brown butter (add last)
- 1/2 cup dried onions
- 1 10-oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 small can chicken broth
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups cubed or shredded cheese (Grandma used Velveeta, but was sane in all other aspects -- my wife uses "American" cheese, our youngest
daughter prefers cheddar -- use your favorite)
- 1/2 cup milk

Topping:
- 1 cup Ritz crackers, crushed (Grandma's pick -- our family prefers crushed corn-flakes)
- 1/4 cup melted butter

Mix sour cream, salt, pepper, cheese, cheese, butter, onions, cream of chicken soup, and broth, until smooth. Then mix with shredded potatoes. Best made the night before -- the potatoes will have a better flavor. Add topping and bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Makes a 3 qt. casserole.
 
  • Moderator

stella1979

Moderator
Member
Yay Ohio Mark ! My family thanks you.

Edit: I have everything for BBQ meatballs & Grandma's tater's! So excited.
 

Ohio Mark

Member
stella1979 said:
Yay Ohio Mark ! My family thanks you.
You're welcome. I hope your family enjoys this as much as we do.
 
Top Bottom