10 gallon gecko tank as fish tank

BlackMolly99

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just got a 10 gallon gecko tank. Would that work as a fish tank?
I got it for free so I can't lose anything off of it.

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would think so as long as you do a leak test and make sure it's clean :)
Does it have a lid too?

OP
B

BlackMolly99

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I haven't filled it up with water yet. I'm still cleaning it out( there's a reason it was free lol).
It sort of has a lid. The screen was broken so I tore it off, but it still has the sliding part.

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BlackMolly99 said:
I haven't filled it up with water yet. I'm still cleaning it out( there's a reason it was free lol).
It sort of has a lid. The screen was broken so I tore it off, but it still has the sliding part.
Free tanks are sometimes the best for sure! I think as long as it doesn't have any leaks it would be good. As for a lid you can always get another screen for cheap. Some fish like to jump, or in my case, my cat would be dipping his toes in for a little snack. haha

OP
B

BlackMolly99

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've heard that the glass is to thin, and it will bow eventually. Is this true? Or will I just have to test it out myself?

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BlackMolly99 said:
I've heard that the glass is to thin, and it will bow eventually. Is this true? Or will I just have to test it out myself?
I've never really heard of a glass lid bowing per say, but I would just test it out and see what happens?

OP
B

BlackMolly99

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
kattiq said:
I've never really heard of a glass lid bowing per say, but I would just test it out and see what happens?
Sorry, I meant the actual tank. Not the lid.

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BlackMolly99 said:
Sorry, I meant the actual tank. Not the lid.
Ohh, hmm that I am not sure about. But could possibly be an issue since it's technically not made to hold water? I guess look at it closely while doing a leak test, I would fill it to the brim and let it sit for a few days and see what happens.
If it doesn't work out, I do know that Petco/Petsmart do a $1 per gallon tank sale. And a 10g basic tank isn't all that expensive either anyways if you wanted to be on the safe side.

OP
B

BlackMolly99

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
kattiq said:
Ohh, hmm that I am not sure about. But could possibly be an issue since it's technically not made to hold water? I guess look at it closely while doing a leak test, I would fill it to the brim and let it sit for a few days and see what happens.
If it doesn't work out, I do know that Petco/Petsmart do a $1 per gallon tank sale. And a 10g basic tank isn't all that expensive either anyways if you wanted to be on the safe side.
OK. Thank you, I'll try that :) I'm in Canada so we don't actually have the dollar per gallon sales! I wish we did!

Nataku

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can you post a pic of the tank? Odds are good that a basic 10 gallon was indeed actually a fish tank they just put a gecko in. The 'thin glass wall reptile tanks' people are talking about are usually exoterras which are not shaped at all like a normal fish tank anyhow - doors on the side obviously isnt going to hold water. So the thin glass is something of a moot point. The only 'thin glass for reptile tanks' I've ever seen that were shaped like normal fish tanks were 125 gallons, and yes they had notably thinner glass that an aquarium 125 does, but thats5 also not a 10 gallon. I doubt they even make different tankbwith different thickness glass at that size.

OP
B

BlackMolly99

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ug sorry, I can't get a picture, because I'm using a desktop computer.
I've been cleaning it out, and I've done a bit of a test to see if it holds water, and so far so good :)
I also think Nataku is right, and the glass isn't thinner.

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BlackMolly99 said:
Ug sorry, I can't get a picture, because I'm using a desktop computer.
I've been cleaning it out, and I've done a bit of a test to see if it holds water, and so far so good :)
I also think Nataku is right, and the glass isn't thinner.
Awesome!! Hopefully it’ll continue to hold so you can get your aquarium started sooner rather than later :)

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've used the "magic eraser" its melamine foam and wow does it work wonders on water stains and stuff! Plus it is safe for aquariums. I don't know if they have it in your stores in Canada but it should be in the cleaning section if you don't want to wait on amazon. :)

OP
B

BlackMolly99

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do with this fish tank? I have a 20g without fish in it, because all the stores are closed. I'm kinda looking for ideas more out of the box.

It doesn't have a lid, light, filter or really anything but the tank. I might be able to get some of those things though :)

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You could swap plans and use the 20g to house more fish instead of the 10g?
Can use the 10g and make a shrimp/invert only tank if you wanted.

OP
B

BlackMolly99

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
kattiq said:
You could swap plans and use the 20g to house more fish instead of the 10g?
Can use the 10g and make a shrimp/invert only tank if you wanted.
Sorry, reading my post I saw I wasn't very clear. I'm planning on using the 20g for fish ( after stores open up), and the 10g for something a bit more unusual.

New Threads