Will my Dwarf Puffers get sucked up by my filter?

TimeHalt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all,
I have a 10 gallon heavily planted tank. I have an Aquaclear 30 filter, and I have been using a pre filter sponge however the sponge reduces A LOT of the flow (even when I have the flow as fast as it goes) and I constantly have to re adjust the sponge to get it in a good spot so it doesn't reduce so much of the flow. I would love to just take the pre filter sponge off of the intake but I am worried that they would possibly get sucked into it at some point. Any help is appreciated.

Aquashrimp42

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
As long as your Dwarf Puffers are bigger than the openings on the filter you should be fine if they arent see my post below.

You could also try pantyhose on the filter, it should still let a bit of water flow through. I have also put wire mesh around smaller pieces of sponge to keep it on. I have also tried, and this one has worked the best though I don't know about pantyhose because I haven't purchased any, taking the sponge part of a sponge filter off and fitting that around the filter intake with yarn to hold it on. You would have to research types of yarn because I can't remember which ones are aquarium safe of the top of my head.

DoraCory

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dwarf puffers prefer a low flow anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

OP
TimeHalt

TimeHalt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DoraCory said:
Dwarf puffers prefer a low flow anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Thanks. I actually took the pre filter sponge off later that day and they've been doing fine. They do swim closer to filter but I can't imagine they would ever sucked up unless they purposely went inside it..

AmnScott

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What type of pre filter were you using? The Fluval pre filters I use do not restrict flow at all.

OP
TimeHalt

TimeHalt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
AmnScott said:
What type of pre filter were you using? The Fluval pre filters I use do not restrict flow at all.
The fluval one as well. I actually am not sure why, it did seem like the first few weeks (while the tank was cycling) the sponge only slightly restricted it. At some point though it just really started restricting it too much. Everything is fine now, no pre filter sponge needed for these two.

New Threads