What is this clear mini mushroom on live plants in my freshwater aquarium

GreenGilGal

MacZ

Biofilm or... is that tank slightly brackish?

(Edit: unclear phrasing)

StarGirl

Following because I am curious too

GreenGilGal

Goodday I am in need of help to identify this, I have search s on net and havn't found the answer. I am diffently very new to aquariums. My set up is of four types of live plants with Fluval Plant Statum Aquarium Substrate and aquarium cured drift wood with plant on it from store. I Apologize about the bond front not sure how it was turn on while typing.

No freshwater 20 gal

MacZ

Ok... so the original idea I had is not it and this is good news.

So only other thing that it reminds me of is the polyp state of freshwater jellyfish.

GreenGilGal

Notice an upload while typing this soo... Just looked up boifilm the thing on my plant have a thin stem attached to plant with a mushroom like head they to not connect and real do resemble a mushroom does boifilm look like that?

MacZ

Yes and no. Biofilm (bacteria colonies) can have a lot of shapes, but this sounds too regular.

GreenGilGal

Oh polyp state of freshwater jellyfish looking it up now

I keep getting freshwater jelly fish when I look it up I must be doing something wrong in my search what is polyp state of freshwater jellyfish

MacZ

just type "freshwater jellyfish polyp" in the google search. You'll find picture of colonies of those, they sometimes occur solo.

Craspedacusta sowerbiI - Wikipedia

A polyp is basically a jellyfish larva. They don't start their lives in the free swimming state.

GreenGilGal

I found this definition A tiny, stalked form of the jellyfish (the polyp) lives as colonies attached to stable underwater surfaces such as rooted plants, rocks, or tree stumps. The microscopic polyp colonies feed and reproduce during the spring and summer months. The polyps reproduce asexually. Some of their offspring are the jellyfish that can be seen at the surface.

MacZ

Exactly what I meant.

GreenGilGal

That does sound like it will it hurt my fish?

StarGirl

Where would that even come from?

GreenGilGal

My fish are an inch and up to three inches in size

MacZ

They are an invasive species almost worldwide. Contaminated water supply or contracted from a contaminated store tank are posibilities.

But this is not yet a 100% safe ID. Can anybody confirm?

Also, before you ask, I have no idea how to get rid of them except taking out the plants.

And I can not say whether they can stun small fish the same way hydra can. Possible but I'm all but sure.

GreenGilGal

Oh the more I read the headache I have it seems

MacZ

Calm down. As I said. This is not a 100% ID. Just wait for confirmation.

GreenGilGal

Though they seem cool if it was just a tank for them to bad I love my fish more and to the my betta food of blood word and other such things is feeding them.

Sorry not panicking yet this stage if that's what they arenot harmful for now.

MissNoodle

Ive had these, assumed it was a type of algae... they went away after some time. Ive seen some fish graze it off the glass when I had it.

MacZ

MissNoodle said:
Ive had these, assumed it was a type of algae... they went away after some time. Ive seen some fish graze it off the glass when I had it.
Now that sounds like biofilm then.

MissNoodle

It did occur more with leaf litter... never moved or floated, always attached to something.

Not as dense as it is on this plant though

SaraCooper

If your feeding frozen bloodworm, or other frozen foods, that might be the source of your jellies

GreenGilGal

Freeze dry blood worms and some sun dry shrimp and balance blackfy food fir every one else in tank

All dry out stuff of manfacture processed food

I thought it would be less like to get parasite from process food for them

StarGirl

I use frozen food all the time and have never see that!

MissNoodle

I had them before I fed frozen or dried.

I don't think theyre "alive" like a jelly would be?

GreenGilGal

Was your like this too a thin stock with mushroom head

My are growing on plastic part of filter and smooth leaf plant but not the glass unless my briselnose is removing them from the glass I could see him doing that

Oh I have to sleep for now got to be up by two for work... I'll check this post tommorrow. Thank all for your feed back up to now.

H Farnsworth

Is this a new plant?
Did you treat the plant with anything before adding to the tank?
Perhaps there is a method to remove it with a general medication.

MissNoodle

Yeah thin stalk, they sorta are attached by the stalk and wave gently around when the water moves, not of their own movement though. Ive even seen them attached to snail shells. My loaches would eat them off the glass all the time. I don't think I have any photos left of them, but they were exact. Never floated or swam in the actual water, never moved from their spot.

Also never harmed anything, not even fry

Ive found a couple old photos of it on the glass. They look like grey smudges from the front

H Farnsworth

Oh I like those cories. What species are they?

MissNoodle

H Farnsworth said:
Oh I like those cories. What species are they?
Trilineatus, often sold under the "julii" label (in store, any juliI has a 99% chance of being trilineatus). Both were juvenile in that photo.

H Farnsworth

wow my lfs must get some knock off species I've never seen any as eye catching. But we've digressed.

Kevin1962

I get these in my daphnia tanks after a week or so. They look like miniature trees. I thought is was a fungus of some type and it doesn't harm the daphnia.
When I clean their tanks (rotating) every 8-10 days I net the critters out into clean aquarium water then scrub the tank, bleach and refill.
Hit or miss if these return and have never had them show up in the tanks I feed the daphnia to.

MacZ

AquaBaby said:
So, these are 100% the freshwater jellyfish?
No. I actually asked a few posts earlier whether anyone can confirm my suspiscion or not.

John58ford

Just from reading about how to keep them (freshwater jellyfish)intentionally it seems they are somewhere between hard and impossible. The linked article from a post above says none of the public aquariums that have tried have been successful and that Wheaton college maybe has figured out how to do it. I would think if you crank up your filter, they will find their way in and die as soon as they are capable of free swimming. This would explain why the couple posts where someone else thinks they have had them in the past, they simply disappeared.

I can't confirm if you have jellyfish from the pictures as I'm not experienced enough to rule out the multitude of possible fungus that exist but if it were the jelly fish, maybe it's not as problematic as it seems.

Upon reading this thread tonight, I learned about something I was totally unaware of, and I thank all you guys for sharing, and I thank OP for posting the pics.

Anyone have a spare round tank with a custom filtration system and tons of live microfood? I would love to see a fellow hobbyist grow one of these out to full adult just to say they could do it. I would try but I don't think I have the skill or space.

MacZ

John58ford said:
Anyone have a spare round tank with a custom filtration system and tons of live microfood? I would love to see a fellow hobbyist grow one of these out to full adult just to say they could do it. I would try but I don't think I have the skill or space.
There is at least one german manufacturer that offers specialized jellyfish tanks (that type of tank is called a tumbler). But please don't ask me what they cost. I know by chance that the Zoo Aquarium Berlin and Monterey Bay Aquarium helped developing those.

GreenGilGal

How do I up load a video of this mushroom thing

Here a screen shot of video for now maybe some can make a good id of this mushroom thing

Here this one too

Cantchooseone

Could it be vorticella?

GreenGilGal

vorticella... it looks like a match found this site it has a pic and info and aquarium advice forum ( I had a friend look at a sample burger a microscope and it has been identified as "vorticella.") So next getting rid of them hmmmm.

Cantchooseone

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom