Topfin Silentstream Power Filter 40- Keep Or Replace?

1. KaitlynR

KaitlynR Well Known Member Member

I had a Topfin Silentstream 40 come with my 37 gallon tank that I got gifted today.

Is this filter going to be good enough? Or should I go ahead and buy my favorite brand of filters (AKA Fluval Aquaclear)?

2. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

i mean they're a half decent filter in my experience. Don't use sand with them. Clogs up super quick. But, for the long run, an aquaclear is best

3. OP
    OP
    KaitlynR

Shoot.... I was planning on getting black sand...

Looks like ill need to replace it regardless. Thanks!

4. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

welcome :)
    yeah, the impellers in the top fin filters are super cheap material and there's no replacement parts for them. So if sand gets in there you'd be screwed

5. ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOK Valued Member Member

I replaced mine almost instantly. I love my aqua clear 50 so much more.
    Imo top fin stuff is overpriced for as cheap as it is.
    I bought a top fin kit as my first tank and replaced everything but the actual tank! Lmao
    (Ok I haven't replaced the lid/light yet but it's bc I have to custom make a clear top bc none fit it! But I want to asap.)

6. OP
    OP
    KaitlynR

I was able to snag the 37 gallon kit for 75 bucks, which seemed like a steal to me because i actually like their heaters a lot, and it came with all the other goodies too! and the hood i don't mind at all, the light is actually beautiful on it! But yes, the filter is ok ish. ill have to get another Aquaclear for this new tank.

7. ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOK Valued Member Member

I don't mind the light. It is gorgeous (I use a couple sheets of wax paper to dim the light) I just want an adjustable light and a lid that opens the length of the top also. I don't ever use the little door I lift the whole lid to feed and such.
    I still use the filter but on my QT.

8. OP
    OP
    KaitlynR

Yeah i find i usually move the entire lid back so i can feed.

9. dcocinci

dcocinci Valued Member Member

I have the Top Fin Silentstream 75 for my 65 Gallon (with black sand). It clogged after only 2 weeks to the point it was running over the side of the filter. I ended up getting a Fluval 406 and run them both at the same time, hasnt clogged since. Its not exactly quiet either. I'll probably replace it with an Aquaclear at some point.

10. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

If you kept the filter I think you would have experienced more problems than just the clogging due to sand. The filter while rated for a 40g tank won't do much for your 37g , your going to experience minor spikes in ammonia since it's just not strong enough to convert to whatever the tank needs.

If you do buy a new filter you could get an Aquaclear 70 or a Marineland Penguin 350 as those are rated for 70 gallons and should be sufficient for your tank.