Stressed Betta

sairving

So I've had my betta fish for about 2 weeks now. He was pretty calm the first week (built bubble nests) but recently has been glass surfing on the right side of the tank. He nipped his fin today too. My water parameters are good, no nitrites or ammonia. Nitrate is at 10 ppm.

I'm pretty sure he keeps seeing his reflection and thinks it's another fish. I added some more plants and a piece of matte black foam board today, but he's still stressed out.

I don't know what else I can do. Will he eventually figure it out? The light is on from 8am to 4pm.
IMG_20200718_130951020.jpg

BigManAquatics

I think you are on the right path. Using plants to break up the reflective surfaces does seem to help. If you have room, maybe add another cave or something he can swim around and under to explore. Mine all did at least some glass surfing and ended up getting over it. Still like to flare at their own reflection and me, on occasion.

sairving

I think you are on the right path. Using plants to break up the reflective surfaces does seem to help. If you have room, maybe add another cave or something he can swim around and under to explore. Mine all did at least some glass surfing and ended up getting over it. Still like to flare at their own reflection and me, on occasion.

I'll have to see what I can do. The only option for a cave would be to get 2 smaller caves. Initially, I was going to use driftwood and a few small rocks to make a cave but I spent that money on the substrate. I found a small bubble nest in the Red Root Floaters this morning. Maybe a moss ball that gets moved around every few days would give him some more entertainment.

PNWBettas

Floating plants may also help. They can provide cover and areas of shade. I have a few plakats and one likes to glass surf a lot but it’s reduced when I added lots of floaters.

sairving

Floating plants may also help. They can provide cover and areas of shade. I have a few plakats and one likes to glass surf a lot but it’s reduced when I added lots of floaters.

I actually have Red Root floaters across 1/3 of the tank and he likes them. I put most of his food in the floating plants to try and give him some mental stimulation. Sometimes I wonder if the light may be a bit too bright. Some of my red root floaters are actually turning red again.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mrjotano
  • Question
Replies
Views
BenjiBear
Replies
Views
Feohw
  • Question