Old zebra danio dying,should i leave him in there?

Masoud

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
hello guys,one of my danios(around 2 2.5 years old) is dying probably cause he is chilling most of the times and acting weirdly,looks like the time for him has come but i dont want to remove the old guy from the tank and let him die naturally,im pretty sure when he dies im gonna be at work,its a 20 gal planted,there are at least 10 assassin snails in the tank is it ok to leave him there?

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Danios live up to 5 years. I would find out why you think he is "dying" because he may not be . What are your recent water parameters? Do weekly water changes? Does the danio seem sick? 2 years is too young for any fish to just up and die from "old age" . Your danios most likely has an underlying issue from a disease or water quailty issue. Does your other danios have any issues ?

OP
Masoud

Masoud

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
the water parameters are fine,he developed some kind of deformity around 5 6 months ago as u may know this happens with many of them,most people would euthanize the fish but i just cant do that and dont want to
the reason i said old age because of the inbreeding here these poor fish dont live that much sadly

CichlidCody

Reaction score
2 years really is too young for a danio to die. Sounds like another issue. Whats your full stocking and water parameters? What are his symptoms to think he is 'dying'?

I would go ahead and euthanize him then with clove oil if he has defects ... that only makes sense instead of letting him just suffer....

OP
Masoud

Masoud

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CichlidCody said:
2 years really is too young for a danio to die. Sounds like another issue. Whats your full stocking and water parameters? What are his symptoms to think he is 'dying'?

I would go ahead and euthanize him then with clove oil if he has defects ... that only makes sense instead of letting him just suffer....
alright, i dont think i can do it myself gonna call one of my friends

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Masoud said:
the water parameters are fine,he developed some kind of deformity around 5 6 months ago as u may know this happens with many of them,most people would euthanize the fish but i just cant do that and dont want to
the reason i said old age because of the inbreeding here these poor fish dont live that much sadly
Ah , i would euthanize him if it were me. It would hurt me alot more to watch him suffer daily from a defect. I couldn't let a poor fish suffer till he dies but some people can do it i guess. Theres people here that cut the head off rather than using the oil! Now that, i could never do....

OP
Masoud

Masoud

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Blueberrybetta said:
Ah , i would euthanize him if it were me. It would hurt me alot more to watch him suffer daily from a defect. I couldn't let a poor fish suffer till he dies but some people can do it i guess
yeah i know it was hard for me too,but i just cant do it,i didnt gave him life so i shouldnt be the one to take it

New Threads