Need help with betta gender!

GreenBetta
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and this is my first post. Please let me know if I break any rules, sorry in advance.

I saw a female betta in Petco a few days ago. At that Petco, all the betta containers have "male" sticker on them. If it's a female, the employees simply use a sharpie to strike the word "male" out. Frankly I don't see beautiful female bettas often at LFS, especially at a Petco. All the beautiful female bettas I can find are from eBay. I was quite surprised to see a beautiful female black crowntail.

I checked for the eggtube and it's there, so I was confident enough it's a female, and brought it. I have a 20 gal betta sorority tank that only has two bettas in, so I added this black crowntail in after quarantine and acclimation.

The weird thing was my two existing female bettas seemed to be afraid of this crowntail, even thought this crowntail was much smaller in size. Then I saw the crowntail flared and it seemed to have a beard like in male bettas. So now I'm not sure sure about the gender anymore.

I have two short videos of this betta, please check them out and let me know if it's a male. If it is, I'll gift it to a friend who likes male bettas a lot.

Thank you!

Skrabbitskrabbit
I’m not an expert but my guess is female. They seem to have that thicker chest shape that I see in females. Hopefully (s)he settles in nice!

Fisch
I heard that crowntails are in general a bit more aggressive, and every Betta has a different personality. A backup plan is still a good idea just in case.
I heard that crowntails are in general a bit more aggressive, and every Betta has a different personality. A backup plan is still a good idea just in case.

grac3
looks like a female, does s/he have a small white spot on her underbelly?

The_fishy
Female

GreenBetta
grac3 said:
looks like a female, does s/he have a small white spot on her underbelly?
Yes, I can see the eggtube.
The_fishy said:
Thanks, great news!

Rose of Sharon
Definitely female, and very pretty, too! They all are!

I hope everything works out well!

GreenBetta
Rose of Sharon said:
Definitely female, and very pretty, too! They all are!

I hope everything works out well!
Thank you!

ValkyrieLips
Females can be just as aggressive as males, it really depends on their personality. I would keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't stress out/bully the other fish too badly.

Latest threads

Top Bottom