Multifasciatus tank mate suggestions

TucanSam

I'm looking at moving my multis from a 20 long to a 60 gallon soon ish. The current idea is that, if I add anything, it will be some rock dwellers on the side separated by some bugger stones or a piece of driftwood.

Since there are so many different types of tang rock dwellers, I was curious what y'all had experience with or what your favorites are.

My multi colony is probably a 6-10 strong at the moment (not bad coming from just 2 fish) so I have room to work with.

Thanks!

veggieshark

I have the opposite thing. I am thinking about adding multies to my julies tank. If one us does it, let each other know

carsonsgjs

Ive only ever read about shellie tankmates when researching my own tank but i think calvus look cool. There are so many rockdwellers as you say though - brichardi, julies, leleupi....

Could cyprichromis also work as they tend to occupy the upper levels rather than rocks?

veggieshark

carsonsgjs said:
Ive only ever read about shellie tankmates when researching my own tank but i think calvus look cool. There are so many rockdwellers as you say though - brichardi, julies, leleupi....

Could cyprichromis also work as they tend to occupy the upper levels rather than rocks?
You want to keep to the smaller side (and less aggressive) when you pick tankmates. Others may prey on multies, at least the young ones.

Cyprichromis are great fish but they like to be in relatively large groups and need a lot of swimming space. They may be too much for a 60g (and a bit on the large side), but if you don't go crazy about adding many species, it might work.

carsonsgjs

veggieshark said:
You want to keep to the smaller side (and less aggressive) when you pick tankmates. Others may prey on multies, at least the young ones.

Cyprichromis are great fish but they like to be in relatively large groups and need a lot of swimming space. They may be too much for a 60g (and a bit on the large side), but if you don't go crazy about adding many species, it might work.
Masked julies spring to mind as they stay pretty small, but there is the risk of fry being eaten whichever is added i suppose.

veggieshark

carsonsgjs said:
Masked julies spring to mind as they stay pretty small, but there is the risk of fry being eaten whichever is added i suppose.
True, community setup is not for breeding. With luck some will survive, if the parents are not overwhelmed by an intruder.

TucanSam

Cyprichromis would be great but I think they're too big. Brichardi and julis are at the top of the list atm. I've only heard bad things about lelelupi and any shell dwellers.

The shellies come first though, anything else is just a wish.

TucanSam

I'm now torn between Brichardi, Julis and Cyprichromi Leptosoma :x some more research is needed now.

Assuming I go Juli, how many should I grab, veggie? Whats the standard amount for them? A pair? It'd be simpler if they were the only ones in there x.x I hate mixing tangs, its so complicated lol

veggieshark

I never bought a pair of tangs. Typically I buy 5-6 juveniles and raise them. I may end up losing 1-2 along the way.

When I had Brichardi, they quickly populated the entire tank. And then it was impossible to introduce a new species, because they would chase any newcomer to death. It would be best for you to decide ahead of time what species you will keep, and introduce them in less to more aggressive order but before one populates and claims all territories.

Of course, if you can stick to one species, it will be easier.

TucanSam

Veggie nooooo. You're speaking to my lazy, dominant side by saying one way would be easier x.x

TucanSam

So tragedy struck.

I set up my new 60 gallon, transferred over some cycled media from my 125g tank, let it run for a few days to get up to temperature and kept the colony fed. I began transferring over my shelly tank; ornaments, shells, fish etc. Saved a little bit of the sand but bought new sand for the tank. Brought over almost all of the 20g of water from it.

Placed my shelly's in the tank and everything seemed fine for a few days. Water parameters were good with the only deviation being a ~2 degree lower temp in the new tank. I figured no big deal, that's within acceptable parameters and I just needed to adjust the new, bigger heater.

Well a few days ago I woke up to find 3 dead shelldwellers lying on the substrate. 3 of my adults. I haven't seen any others since, and need to assume by this point (about a week later) that I've... just lost my colony. I've tried checking the shells with a flashlight at night to see if I can see their shadows, but have been unable to find any of them.

I'm devastated, and now have a 60 gallon tank set up that I'm doing nothing with. *Deep breath*.

I'm going to keep the cycle going and give them a few more days in the hope that they are just frightened and hiding and I can't see them, but I think I might have to restart the colony with new shelldwellers or stock the tank differently...

Latest threads

Top Bottom