Mosquito fish is fin nipping the Guppy

AltantaDude

Hi,

I have one Female Guppy and added recently 8 Juvenile Mosquito fish (Gambusia affinis) into my aquarium. And recently noticed that two of the Mosquito fish are fin nipping the Guppy, especially the back fin which is in orange color. Is it common, because online when searched they said Guppies and Mosquito fish are from same family and can coexist in the same aquarium.

Thanks

chromedome52

Curious as to where you found a source that said the two species can co-exist, because I've never heard of it happening. Gambusia are quite aggressive, and seem to take particular delight in harassing Guppies.

Upvote 0

chromedome52

Yeah, I don't think they would notice some fin-nipping in ponds. They might notice that the guppies die out while the Gambusia thrive over the long term.

Incidentally, they still call them G. affinis. Only the native populations of Mosquitofish west of the Mississippi are this species, and most of the stocked fish come from the Eastern Mosquitofish, G. holbrooki. Formerly considered sub species, the two were separated into distinct species in 1988. The majority of Mosquitofish seen in the hobby are the latter species, as well.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Grimmy
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
Grimmy
Replies
Views
HupGupp
Replies