Introducing Lucky to the world

Amatyi1

I almost got rid of my OB Peacock and my Sunshine Cichlid because the Sunshine Cichlid was chasing my other peacock's wanting to mate and stressed my other peacock till she died. He started in on my OB Peacock after the other one died and I noticed my OB was shaking his head stressing from the chasing. This was when I was considering selling them but I put it off. One day I'm vacuuming my tank and I notice this tiny fish in the back. I knew how hard it would be to catch him to put him in another tank so I said if he makes it, with my 6 inch and 5 inch Oscars in the tank with him, I'll name him lucky. Well I didn't see him for a month and my Sunshine started chasing my OB again so I figured he was an appetizer for 1 of my Oscar's and the Sunshine was trying again. Well today I saw that daddy had dug a hole in the gravel to expose the bottom of my big rock that has a hole in the base for the air hose attachment. He's hiding his baby under this hole and chews up food and spits it out for his baby. I never knew a dad would take such good care of his baby like this. I'm not sure if I vacuumed the other eggs or not but all I noticed is 1 baby. My question is, is this unusual for a peacock cichlid to only have 1 baby or did I vacuum the eggs up. I don't even know what they would look like or if I'd notice them. Do they lay eggs on a certain surface where I can look out for them? Does anyone have any tips on taking care of this baby and keeping my Oscar's and my Catfish away from him. Also, does anyone have tips on not vacuuming any future eggs. I have an electronic vacuum for my tank so it vacuum's more then a regular gravel vac. Thanks for any help and tips.

BigManAquatics

Is putting him in a different tank for awhile to get some size a possibility?

Amatyi1

Is putting him in a different tank for awhile to get some size a possibility?
Last time I had to catch some of my cichlids to sell them it took taking everything out of the tank, lowering the water down to the bottom, and putting the top of the tank as a divider and chasing them for 2 hours and they were big enough to see. I'm worried if I take everything out of the tank and start chasing this little guy my oscar will chase him as well and might get him before I do. I have one six inch Oscar 1 5 in Oscar 3 firemouth cichlids that are big and a 4 inch pictus catfish that could all try to eat him.

BigManAquatics

Maybe some sort of divider to give the fry a small portion of tank where the others can't get him might work. Kinda low on ideas

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Fishjunkiejimmy
  • Cichlid
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
AGAqua
  • ruby_cichlid
  • Cichlid
Replies