How can i be sure my equipment is safe to use

EntirelyEm

Member
Okay so yesterday i mixed about 2 cups of water with a dash of clorox bleach and put some of my stuff in it for about a minute or so. I didn't measure anything exactly, but it just faintly smelled like bleach. I rinsed everything off a million times because i was terrified of accidentally hurting my fish and then for extra measure i boiled some water and rinsed everything off with that too. It doesn't smell like bleach anymore, but is there any chance i could hurt my fish by using the stuff i soaked in it? I used it on my siphon and im supposed to do a wc today but im scared. It's all completely dry now if that changes anything.
 

86 ssinit

Member
I like to just leave it in sunlight or just outside for a day. The bleach dissipates as it drys. I use a 4 to one ratio on bleach. 1part bleach to 4 parts water.
 

mattgirl

Member
When I use bleach to clean anything I add to or use for my tanks I add extra water conditioner to the final rinse water. I've never harmed my water pets by cleaning with bleach and rinsing well.

Back when I still used plastic and silk plants I added at least a cup of bleach to a gallon of water. I didn't really measure. I just poured it in there. The final rinse in dechlorinated water removed the last traces of bleach.
 
  • Thread Starter

EntirelyEm

Member
mattgirl said:
When I use bleach to clean anything I add to or use for my tanks I add extra water conditioner to the final rinse water. I've never harmed my water pets by cleaning with bleach and rinsing well.

Back when I still used plastic and silk plants I added at least a cup of bleach to a gallon of water. I didn't really measure. I just poured it in there. The final rinse in dechlorinated water removed the last traces of bleach.
86 ssinit said:
I like to just leave it in sunlight or just outside for a day. The bleach dissipates as it drys. I use a 4 to one ratio on bleach. 1part bleach to 4 parts water.
thank y'all! that makes me feel better about all this
 

ForceTen

Member
I use bleach all the time. I rinse then soak for a bit in de-chlorinator like Prime. No problems. Drying is also effective as said above.
 

LurkingontheReg

Member
+1 on the dechlorinator.
Several rinses, a soak in treated water and then dried out in the sun.
 

PurpleReign19

Member
Also using vinegar can get any water stains off of the tank. Just rinse with dechlorinated water after.
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom