Green lantern platy turning orange Help 

JillianR

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have several green lantern platies in my 125g tank and one of them one day started to turn orange. It starts on the bottom of his dorsal fin and some down through his body. Almost like I can see individual scales are a different color than the surrounding ones. My LFS double checked my water for ammonia etc. said all is good there. They had no ideas on why the change. The fish is active and eats normally. Well eats when I feed. Those guys are perpetually hungry. If I walk up to the tank or by it they are all saying in bubbly speak FEED ME!

SM1199

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would definitely need a picture before I say anything about this.

JillianR

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I tried getting a few..they are not good bc I haven’t taken him out bu here they are

JillianR

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

He’s in the bottom center. When I get back home tomorrow I will try and shine a light and get better pix

JillianR

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

JillianR

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

JillianR

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The first pic is probably the best I have on my phone right now

Madshot

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He is probably mixed with a red wag or sunburst. I have 4 green lanterns also and one developed an outline of yellowish orange. He is mixed with a sunburst.

JillianR

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hmmm you know that thought never even entered my mind. I just assumed (stupid me) that they were full grown when I purchased them. I like it I mean I think he’s the coolest looking fish in the tank. The fry I have so far are a mix of darker colored ones that hang at the bottom of the tank which makes it hard as I have a black sand/gravel mix. Then there are some super light colored ones and those hang mid tank among some silk plants. I’m planning on transitioning to live plants in the next month or so.
Thank you for responding. I was kinda worried at first but he’s just doing all the fishy stuff that the rest are doing so I figure he’s healthy or at least as healthy as the others. They are fun lil fish.

Madshot

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No problem. They are fun. 2 or my community tanks have platys. They are almost as cool as my cory cats.

JillianR

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
SM1199 said:
Platy fish: care, size, lifespan, feeding, tankmates, breeding
^ Platy in the first pic shows similar coloring. You shouldn't expect to see orange in his tail though since the black tail fin genes will override the orange.
The orange is only from the the dorsal fin (the top is still black—so only where it was the light/transparent part closer to his body) and some on his body. Definitely nothing away from his center mass!
Thank you for taking the time to read and pass along information! I love this forum!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom