Get rid of unwanted snails

SuperCooper

I am starting to have a snail problem in my 4ft despite being meticulous, or so I thought, in removing them from plants prior to putting them into the tank. I think they are ramshorn snails. I have been manually removing them as I see them but there is just more and more babies.

The tank is heavily planted and is home to my betta. The tank also has a few Darwin Algae Eating Shrimp and also used to have a mystery snail in it which died about 2 weeks ago and removed. I don't feed the shrimp very often and my betta gets 2 pellets morning and frozen foods evening (not ever reaching the tank floor before he consumes it) so I can't feed less to aid the problem, I do a water change with a gravel vac once a week so the tank bottom is fairly clean of debris also.

My thought is that the MS was eating a lot of the remaining debris and this helped keep the pest snails from having an excessive food source? I am planning to get another and also have some more DAE shrimp coming in the mail. If the pest snails are outcompeted for food this should help keep their numbers in check right?
Ithis does not work are they any other ways that I can remove them (I have a snail trap but can't use because the snails are so small at the moment) /are there any types of fish that would eat them and be suitable for my current stock?

Tank is 260 litres so I have a lot of room to add something else so long as they would be okay with my betta

Ghelfaire

An assassin snail would be fine with your betta. Not 100% with the shrimp but they should be too fast for it.

SuperCooper

Ghelfaire said:
An assassin snail would be fine with your betta. Not 100% with the shrimp but they should be too fast for it.
I would love one of those but I can't get them in Australia unfortunately - They are a banned species here

Ghelfaire

Shame, they're cute. I suppose setting up traps for them then. Put a peice of vegetable in something or just in the tank and remove it a couple of hours later. There should be a bunch of snails on it and you can dispose of them.

Fisheye

Sera has a neat snail trap if you want to buy one. I think they are pretty spendy but apparently, very effective and can be adjusted for all kinds of snail sizes.

Addictedtobettas

Take them to lfs for trade? Ramshorn are typically desired in tanks.

kallililly1973

Snails lives matter!! Catch them and donate or get store credit for them from your LFS.

SuperCooper

Thanks everyone! I bought the sera snail trap and am catching them and putting them into a spare tank for the moment, when I have a bunch I'll find somewhere to give/trade them

cpuphantom

Can I ask where you found the Sera Snail trap? Those seem to be sold out absolutely everywhere!

I'm in the same boat... heavily planted understocked tank... there's a snail every square inch, I kid you not.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom