Fruits For Plecos?

Fanatic

I have heard before that some people were offering their plecos with fruits like cantaloupe, apples, mangos, and honeydew, but I never tried it myself.

What would you say about trying a fruit with a bristlenose? I would like to give mine a slice of fijI apple, thoughts?

Thanks!

Sean Smith

Cucumber and zucchinI are great for them and they love it . I don’t know about the others , sounds fishy to me

Lospark

I think the sugar may be an issue. I’m sure someone here knows was more.

goldface

If you think about it, wild plecos are more likely to come across fallen fruit from trees than they are vegetables. I've given my Clown Pleco mango peel and sweet potato, and have not had any issues from ingesting sugar.

Gourami36

My bn likes bell peppers.

Fanatic

I feed my bristlenoses zucchinI and cucumber mostly, but was interested in trying fruits, so we'll give it a whirl.

Gourami36

ZucchinI and cucumber are fruit

goldface

Gourami36 said:
ZucchinI and cucumber are fruit
Maybe so. I will assume you know what you're talking about; otherwise, I don't see why you'd say it. But in the context of the thread, we're talking the sweet and sugary kind. Pretty sure, anyway.

Gourami36

scarface said:
in the context of the thread, we're talking the sweet and sugary kind. Pretty sure, anyway.
Probably. That's what most people think of when someone says fruit.
List of fruit for pleco
Zucchini/Courgette
Cucumber
Aubergine/Egg plant
Avocado
Capsicum/Bell pepper(not the hot ones)
Grapes
KiwI Fruit
Mango
Papaya
Tomato

april bohannon

I disagree
Plecos can eat a variety of vegetables, like broccoli, shelled peas, lima beans, kale, celery, cabbage, and zucchini. You can also give them small pieces of cantaloupe, honeydew melon, breadfruit, and papaya, but you should avoid acidic fruits or veggies, like oranges and tomatoes.

Gourami36

april bohannon said:
I disagree
Plecos can eat a variety of vegetables, like broccoli, shelled peas, lima beans, kale, celery, cabbage, and zucchini. You can also give them small pieces of cantaloupe, honeydew melon, breadfruit, and papaya, but you should avoid acidic fruits or veggies, like oranges and tomatoes.
It is just a list I found online. I did not go and check each individual one so not all of them might be correct. Some other sources I have found also say tomatoes are ok but not to feed it too much.

goldface

april bohannon said:
you should avoid acidic fruits or veggies, like oranges and tomatoes.
And why is that? Not saying you're wrong, but an explanation would be nice, whether it's just an opinion or a proven fact. I never tried feeding my plecos anything acidic, but I have given my Japanese Trapdoor Snails old, overly ripe tomatoes before with no issues.

Bryangar

Wouldn’t the avocado just fall to pieces when in the water?

Smalltownfishfriend

I give mine watermelon, strawberries grapes and apples. They love it. Just as a treat no more than once a week. I also am contrary, lol I leave them in for a couple off days until they disappear thanks to my snails plecos and shrimp. I never had a water quality issues from leaving it to long but my tank is very well established too!!

aae0130

If I had an avocado my plecco would have to fight me for it.

BusterBot28

aae0130 said:
If I had an avocado my plecco would have to fight me for it.
Haha! Your the opposite of me. I’d take my avocado and give it to the pleco without a second thought! I don’t like them at all! But guacamole is really good. I know I sound like a hypocrite but that’s me!

LilBlub

I think fruits are good for a treat. I’ve given mine orange and watermelon and they enjoyed it!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom