Dwarf Puffer Help

TimeHalt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yesterday I got two pea puffers for my heavily planted 10 gal, based on their looks I am pretty confident one is male and one is female, but of course I could be wrong. They've seemed pretty happy so far, and have been hunting and eating snails here and there. The only problem I've run into is it seems that the female is very bold and curious while the male is a lot more scared and the female usually chases the male when she sees him. Is this aggression? Should I keep an eye on it and possibly rehome one of them? I would not have thought that the female would be the bully..
EDIT: I should add that it doesn't seem she (or he?) wants to hurt the scared one.. they were just added to the tank yesterday and I am hoping that maybe one of them is just a lot more scared and slower to adapt than the other? She does follow him around sometimes and he gets scared but they often will swim close to each other and I've never seen her try to nip him

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
From what I have researched (I have wanted one for awhile!), pea puffers are really aggressive. And only 1 should be housed in a 10 gallon tank.

OP
TimeHalt

TimeHalt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kattiq said:
From what I have researched (I have wanted one for awhile!), pea puffers are really aggressive. And only 1 should be housed in a 10 gallon tank.
I have known this and I heard it really depends on the specific fish, a lot of people have successfully kept them together, and sometimes even with other fish or shrimp. I have seen a lot of people house 3 in a 10 gal, so I went with two after adding many plants and decorations. I was hoping I'd get lucky and this wouldn't be a problem

OP
TimeHalt

TimeHalt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not the best of pics but if anyone experienced could help me sex them I would much appreciate it.. (I also acknowledge that they may be too young to sex right now)
1591034342078.png

1591034357069.png

The yellower one on the left of the bottom photo is the one that I believe is the female

DoraCory

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
One of the rules of thumb for dwarf puffers is 5g for the 1st puffer and then 3g for each puffer after, so if you go by that rule then 2 is fine in a 10g tank. I've also seen 1 dp per 10 litres suggested as well and that you're better off with groups of 6 + to keep aggression down.

DoraCory

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TimeHalt said:
Not the best of pics but if anyone experienced could help me sex them I would much appreciate it.. (I also acknowledge that they may be too young to sex right now)
1591034342078.png

1591034357069.png

The yellower one on the left of the bottom photo is the one that I believe is the female
I think they're too young to sex atm, although the yellower colouring would suggest it's a boy to me.

FishGirly

Reaction score
Do you have a breeder net or box?
I recently got a new pea puffer and he was showing this same behavior. He wasn’t really aggressive, but would rush to the other pea puffers curiously, which scared them. This was the first day. I left him in a breeder box where they could see each other and get used to one another , and then released him 2 days later. It fixed this behavior.

New Threads