Dipping Plants in Peroxide

1. BigXor

BigXor Valued Member Member

I am curious to know how long to leave plants in peroxide for algae removal (Anubias particularly)?

Also do I dip the roots?

2. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Peroxide will kill algae. But it may also kill the plant too. A better solution would be to buy some Seachem Excel. Get an oral syringe and fill it with the Excel and shoot it on the algae.

Sent from my iPhone with my fingers.

3. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

I recommend taking a tooth brush to the tougher plants while it is soaking. Imo, 10 minutes is sufficient but it depend on how bad the algae is. Be patient and do it while you are watching tv so you don't get too bored.

P.S. I've left Anubis and Java ferns soaking in peroxide for 30 minutes and it's been fine. I don't know about delicate plants though. I put the whole plant in the soak, roots and all.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

What kind of algae do you have? It might be less work getting to the root (pun intended) of your problem than spending minutes-hours scrubbing your plants clean just to have it grow back.

5. OP
    OP
    BigXor

I want to dip newly purchased plants. After a couple months battle I got my tank under control and do not want to introduce another problem.

6. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

New plants don't cause algae...

Sent from my iPhone with my fingers.

7. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

They don't cause algea but I see a lot of plants in the fish stores that have algea growing on the leaves more so the java ferns, annubius and swords. Maybe that's what he is talking about. Alison

8. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

BigXor, thanks for bringing this up. I'm currently battling BBA, and I would like to try soaking my plants outside the tank to see how well HPX works to kill it.

9. OP
    OP
    BigXor

Thanks for saying it that way because that's what I mean.

10. OP
    OP
    BigXor

I defeated BBA with a one-two punch method mentioned here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=203684

My plants were too big and well rooted to remove.

WARNING: only use 2 Tbsp per 10 gallon. Also this method killed a lot of my shrimp, all of my horned snails and a couple Rasbora's. Rasbora's go into severe stress. Cory's were OK.

I fought BBA for quite awhile before trying the above method. Remove as many tank critters as possible.

11. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

You;re welcome. That algea can be real tough to get rid of. Alison