Copperbanded Butterfly Fish Discussion

MomeWrath

I don't know the answer you are looking for, but also check maybe on the aiptasia eating filefish. Not as pretty as copperband butterflies, but cool in their own way and I bet he could stand up to your trigger.

edsreeftank

I don't know the answer you are looking for, but also check maybe on the aiptasia eating filefish. Not as pretty as copperband butterflies, but cool in their own way and I bet he could stand up to your trigger.

Are they reef safe?

MomeWrath

hmmm I actually don't think so. Sorry, didn't see that part of the equation.

edsreeftank

hmmm I actually don't think so. Sorry, didn't see that part of the equation.

Ya but I might consider the file fish, what do you other fish hobbiest think of keeping the copperbanded butterfly with the Niger

Jesterrace

What size is the tank? Niger Triggers can get a foot in length and are flat out aggressive (also not supposed to be reef safe). Copperbands are generally peaceful and would stand very little chance of an aggressive Trigger turned on them. Copperbands are also notoriously delicate shippers and many don't survive long. There is also no guarantee they will eat Aiptasia and are a bit of a gamble with corals (generally well behaved though). As mentioned the Matted File Fish would be a better choice as it is less visible/big target for the Triggerfish and by nature is designed to specifically eat Aiptasia, but like the Copperband they are considered With Caution for Reefs.

edsreeftank

What size is the tank? Niger Triggers can get a foot in length and are flat out aggressive (also not supposed to be reef safe). Copperbands are generally peaceful and would stand very little chance of an aggressive Trigger turned on them. Copperbands are also notoriously delicate shippers and many don't survive long. There is also no guarantee they will eat Aiptasia and are a bit of a gamble with corals (generally well behaved though). As mentioned the Matted File Fish would be a better choice as it is less visible/big target for the Triggerfish and by nature is designed to specifically eat Aiptasia, but like the Copperband they are considered With Caution for Reefs.

My tank is a 90 gallon 6 ft long. The Niger is still small and my tank is a soft coral reef tank. And I did my research on the Niger Triggerfish they are not reef safe because they will chomp down on hard coral, so I just keep soft coral they are easier to keep anyway.But ya I probably then will go for the filefish.
Image1547775914.757329.jpg

Jesterrace

Is it a standard 90 gallon? If so then it's only a 4 foot tank (which the Trigger will outgrow in the future). Either way the Filefish is a better choice for what you are looking for.

edsreeftank

Is it a standard 90 gallon? If so then it's only a 4 foot tank (which the Trigger will outgrow in the future). Either way the Filefish is a better choice for what you are looking for.

No I’ve got some weird size 90, it’s 6X1X18

edsreeftank

But I plan to set up a bigger tank in the near future

Jesterrace

Should be okay then. I do agree those are very bizarre dimensions for a 90 gallon. It's possible it was designed to be a frag tank, that's about the only thing those dimensions make sense for (especially if it's only 1 foot deep). I guess it would be considered a 90 gallon Long, I've just never heard of one before.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
JavaMossMan
  • Question
Replies
Views
GlennO
  • Question