constipated bettas? - Page 2

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Stick a piece of black colored paper between them. That's what I use for my tank backgrounds.

OP
I

inari

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
well unfortunately I don't have to worry about them harrassing each other anymore when I changed TenshI water today she was doing fine fighting me for because she hates water changes...I can't fit the net into the bowl that she is sat in to wait for new water. so I use my hands well she tried to squirm out and hurt herself. when I put her back into the water she flared up to get O2 and stayed that way for about 2 minutes I tapped on the bowl to get her to come out of it I tried to chace her with my hand but her little fins didn't move she then floated upside down and died she was doing so well too........

brent

divakeeks

Reaction score
Brent,
I am very sorry that you lost TenshI after she had been doing so well. My thoughts are with you.

Kelly

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sorry about Tenshi. :'( It is so sad to lose a fish. :'(

OP
I

inari

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
yeah it is but now I can concentrate more on InarI tho I hate that I lost my healthiest fish :-S

thank u

brent

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I won't give you a lecture as I am sorry about your fish but I will suggest that maybe you don't take the fish out of the tank to change the water. They can stay in there while the water is changed and it will be less stress on the both of you.

I am indeed very sorry about Tenshi. :'( I know you loved her. My sympathies are with you.

Rose
:'(

OP
I

inari

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
so your saying just do like 75% water change then? I thought it would be a good idea to get him out and throughly clean everythings, rocks, plants sides, ect but I'll try leaving him in to change is water next time how much should I change at a time then and do I still treat with the antI chlorine stuff that u had me buy in another post?

thanx

brent

divakeeks

Reaction score
I was doing the same thing -- taking my guys out of the water every time. I've tried it with them in and they are a LOT happier.

All you do is treat the water in a separate bucket or container (Rose has a bucket just for fish water and I bought one too) and when it is treated you poor gently into the tanks. If you poor too hard you will upset them. If you poor gently though they will tolerate it and maybe even play. My Raspy plays with the water when it is being poured in! :

Once you see the difference of leaving them in there you will wonder why you ever did it the other way. :)

OP
I

inari

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
what about cleaning the rocks tho do u just scoop them out and do it like that?

divakeeks

Reaction score
I don't do anything with my rocks at the moment but I know that a couple people have said they use vaccums to do the gravel.

I'm sure Chickadee can tell you more ... she had to clean all her babies today!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Don't totally clean off the plants and gravel. This will kill off any good bacteria that may be growing. Just use the siphon to suck up junk sitting on the gravel.

OP
I

inari

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
even when I do a full tank cleaning I should just siphon the rocks off not run scalding hot water over them to rinse them out?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, just siphon them off. There is really no reason to rinse them. This will only kill any good bacteria that may be growing there.

OP
I

inari

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
ok then that's what I will do then!!

Update on InarI and TenshI for those who have been following:

TenshI died yesterday in a water changing accident she damaged her gills in the transport and when I put her back she died :'( however InarI is doing better I have him in a slightly bigger bowl now that she won't be jealous : and he is doing well he is also eating again i'm so happy he's eating he didn't eat much today just a pellet and a flake and a half he seems to be doing better. I think his system might have worked things out thanx for everyone's support though i'm not in the clear yet thank you all so far

Brent

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I vacuum the tanks about once a month and otherwise just a 50% water change once a week, but your situation is different again. You do not have a cycled tank. Smaller water changes like 50% every other day will probably be okay but not any longer in between than that. A tank without a filter means you have to do the filtering for it. Let us hope you can get a tank and get it cycled soon. It will be amazing the difference you will see in your fsih.

Rose

OP
I

inari

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
well like I keep saying I have to wait for my check which keeps getting moved curse payroll :-s

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just keep the water changes up and the testing of the water and do your best. He has waited for you and now he is eating. He can wait a bit longer. Just do it as soon as you can.

Rose

New Threads