Question Chili Rasboras with Bolivian Rams?

AmigoSpageeto

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am setting up a 29 gallon South American themed aquarium and curious about stocking. I want to have a pair of bolivian rams and a school of cory catfish (either panda cories or bronze cories). I am just not sure what fish would be best for the top of the tank. I was first looking into a school of marbled hatchetfish, but I recently stumbled upon chili rasboras and was curious with their such small size if they would get along with the bolivian rams? I read on one site that it would be okay, but want to double check. It would suck to spend a lot of money on these little fish to wake up and have them all eaten!
Thanks

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't think it's very likely that the Bolivian rams would eat them. They are temp compatible too, so I don't see why not.
I wouldn't do panda corys with either of them though. They prefer cooler temperatures.

OP
AmigoSpageeto

AmigoSpageeto

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
AquaticQueen said:
I don't think it's very likely that the Bolivian rams would eat them. They are temp compatible too, so I don't see why not.
I wouldn't do panda corys with either of them though. They prefer cooler temperatures.
Okay, cool. I'll try the chili rasboras then they are so colorful! I think I will get a small group of 6-8 and after a while if everything goes well get more.

I totally forgot about the lower temps for panda cories thanks for reminding me :joyful: I'll just go with the bronze ones.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, Chili Rasboras aren't South American themed, as they come from SE Asia. IME they are also warmer water fish than the Bolivian Rams, which are actually more compatible with the Panda Cories. You might consider Ember Tetras, also very red and rather small.

LadfromLondon

Well Known
Reaction score
My Chili Rasboras tens to use up all the space in the tank so I’m not sure if they’ll stay at the top for you, but they might! Also as previously suggested, they do come from Borneo, Indonesia and not South America :)

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
chromedome52 said:
IME they are also warmer water fish than the Bolivian Rams, which are actually more compatible with the Panda Cories. You might consider Ember Tetras, also very red and rather small.
I always thought they were temp compatible, but I am fairly new to the hobby, so what would I know?

OP
AmigoSpageeto

AmigoSpageeto

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oops didn't realize that the chili rasboras were from Asia :facepalm:

I am really confused for the temperature that the bolivian rams should be kept at? I have seen people saying 78F and others saying no higher than 76F and to keep them at 74F?

If they do need that cooler water temp what would be a good schooling/shoaling fish for the top to mid of the tank? Would the ember tetras or hatchetfish still work? Online both of them have huge ranges in temperature. The fish don't need to be from South America per se, but the tank has slightly acidic pH and softer water so whatever can thrive in that setting.

Thank you guys for your help and feedback :joyful:

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
AmigoSpageeto said:
I am really confused for the temperature that the bolivian rams should be kept at? I have seen people saying 78F and others saying no higher than 76F and to keep them at 74F?

If they do need that cooler water temp what would be a good schooling/shoaling fish for the top to mid of the tank? Would the ember tetras or hatchetfish still work? Online both of them have huge ranges in temperature. The fish don't need to be from South America per se, but the tank has slightly acidic pH and softer water so whatever can thrive in that setting.
Hi there,

I personally keep mine at 74-76 regularly but I've bumped it to 79 for a couple reasons at the moment. The highest I would keep them long term is 79-80 but 74-78 is a reasonable temperature for long term care.

I personally also vouch for ember tetras.

OP
AmigoSpageeto

AmigoSpageeto

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FinalFins said:
Hi there,

I personally keep mine at 74-76 regularly but I've bumped it to 79 for a couple reasons at the moment. The highest I would keep them long term is 79-80 but 74-78 is a reasonable temperature for long term care.

I personally also vouch for ember tetras.
Okay, thanks. If I kept the tank at about 76F and then got ember tetras and panda cories with the bolivian rams would they all do good?

New Threads