Bearded Dragon DIY Cage

BettaFishObsessed

Im going to DIY my bearded dragons cage. Im not sure how im going to do the inside yet, but for now im making the actual cage until i figure that out. Anyways, as a first time owner who is doing this, I have a few questions:

-Is 4ft long x 3ft wide x 3ft tall large enough for an adult size? Im pretty sure it is but I want to double check
-Screen top, wood top, half wood half screen, or what? I have seen people recommend both materials for various reasons (Also I know it has to have ventilation) and either way im supposed to cut holes so theres nothing in between the
-So im thinking about building in a sort of second floor level out of wood thats just like a sort of ramp/bridge thing that goes around the walls of the enclosure (sorry if thats an awful description) would it be easier to do this after building the main cage or during that process? (If I dont do that, ill DIY it with spray foam into the background)
-What rails for sliding glass doors is best to buy/easiest to attach?
-With sliding glass doors, if I accidentally scratch or break the glass, how easy is it to just take it out and replace?
-Wood glue/nails/screws/ whats recommended to put it together?
-any other tips?

BPSabelhaus

Size wise your plans are similar to the enclosure for my wifes “office pet” that was left at her work. It’s an old display cabinet with glass sliders that we added some ventilation to. Floor is ceramic tiles that can be lifted out and cleaned.

0D3C5928-7B04-40CE-B424-22C6FAD4F785.jpeg
Mr Wigglesworth.

Upvote 0

MySquishy

If you ever need to take it apart for any reason screws will be much easier for that, and are plenty strong.
Plus easier than hammering nails.

Do you mean window screen, or hardware cloth? ( it comes in 1/4” and 1/ 8” mesh. )
Hardware cloth is stronger, probably what I’d use.

Is the second story you’re describing kind of like a shelf going all the way around the perimeter of the enclosure? Or like ramp/ shelf kinda thing.
If you measure and miter the joints in the corners, it could be easier to attach them to the walls before you join the walls together.
But if you’re like me and can’t always visualize things just right ahead of time, it might be easier to measure and cut the little shelves after you’ve got the main shape.

I don’t have experience with bearded dragons, but I know a little bit about building things. ( my dad was a general contractor. He built a some neat cages for catch and release lizards/ frogs when I was a kid. The stipulation was if we couldn’t catch things that they would eat we had to let them go after a day or two)

Upvote 0

BettaFishObsessed

Size wise your plans are similar to the enclosure for my wifes “office pet” that was left at her work. It’s an old display cabinet with glass sliders that we added some ventilation to. Floor is ceramic tiles that can be lifted out and cleaned.

0D3C5928-7B04-40CE-B424-22C6FAD4F785.jpeg
Mr Wigglesworth.

Okay, cool! Thanks! Also mr wigglesworth is an adorable name for an adorable animal, i feel like i hear the name a lot yet it never stops being adorable

If you ever need to take it apart for any reason screws will be much easier for that, and are plenty strong.
Plus easier than hammering nails.

Do you mean window screen, or hardware cloth? ( it comes in 1/4” and 1/ 8” mesh. )
Hardware cloth is stronger, probably what I’d use.

Is the second story you’re describing kind of like a shelf going all the way around the perimeter of the enclosure? Or like ramp/ shelf kinda thing.
If you measure and miter the joints in the corners, it could be easier to attach them to the walls before you join the walls together.
But if you’re like me and can’t always visualize things just right ahead of time, it might be easier to measure and cut the little shelves after you’ve got the main shape.

I don’t have experience with bearded dragons, but I know a little bit about building things. ( my dad was a general contractor. He built a some neat cages for catch and release lizards/ frogs when I was a kid. The stipulation was if we couldn’t catch things that they would eat we had to let them go after a day or two)

Thanks! I’ll probably use hardware cloth if you think it would be better since its stronger. Yes, like a shelf all the way around. If its easier to do before i think i can do that. Thanks!

Upvote 0

MySquishy

Hardware clothe also enables the lizard to climb the sides, depending on the size of his toes. :)
No problem!!
Often the easiest way is just however you can best figure it out, lol.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • BettaFishObsessed
  • Reptile
Replies
Views
BettaFishObsessed
  • Question
Replies
Views
Luckyscale2003