Aqueon Vs. Python: What do you think?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by kinezumi89, Dec 11, 2012.

1. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I was going to make a poll, but then I couldn't post this thread in the "cleaning and maintenance" forum :p

My boyfriend and I have decided that doing water changes on our 55 gallon tank with buckets is too much of a pain in the butt. The fact that it takes forever sometimes dissuades us from cleaning the tank (not for extended periods of time of course), so we think a water changer would be a good investment.

1. Which one do you have? Do you like it? Are there any problems with it?

2. If you've used both, do you think the Python is worth the extra $10? (They're cheaper at Petco than Petsmart, and the Aqueon is $30 and the Python is $40 for 25'-hoses. We haven't looked anywhere else yet, but I'm sure the Python will always be more expensive.)

3. I know I've seen people post a good "how to use a water changer" YouTube video, but I can't for the life of me find it on here or by searching on YouTube. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, could you post a link?

Thanks a bunch! :)

Just for fun, I'll keep track of votes here:
    Python - 2
    Aqueon - 2
    Marina - 1

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  2. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Wow I can't believe you have been doing the bucket thing for so long! Whatever one you get, you will definitely cut your time in half, or more!!!!

I use an aqueon - never had a problem with it. Some people had posted that they leak, get kinked up but so far, in the 9 months I have had it ( it gets used at least once every week ) and I have yet to have any of those problems. I LOVE mine and wouldn't dream of doing the bucket change ever again.

By the way, I just used my aqueon this past weekend for filling up the water on my Christmas tree stand!!! Another GREAT use!!!

Good luck!

3. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Thanks for the review! Yeah, it takes like half an hour just waiting for the buckets to fill up :( I thought the water changers were way more expensive, like $50-$100, which is part of the reason I hadn't looked in to it yet.

4. Junne

I believe you can get the aqueon on amazon for like $30.00 ( 25 ft length )

5. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Yup, Petco has it for the same price :)

6. Junne

The only reason I got the Aqueon vs the Python was when I was buying my tank at Petsmart, I had a coupon ( from petco ) and I ended up getting 20% off of everything so the Aqueon ended up costing half the price - so if you go to either store, try and find a coupon and usually they will do a price match or honor the discount ;)

7. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

IMO and IME, Marina brand siphoner/cleaner is THE best one (over both that are mentioned). It's stiffer (the hose), had a bigger vacuum connection and has a brass connector that hooks to the sink.

It works very well when vacuuming and performing water changes on the fish tanks. I got the 50' for 45.99 on Amazon (Free shipping)! Not sure how much the 25' was, but it was cheaper than the Python at the time.

8. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Interesting, I didn't know there were other varieties! I'll have to look into it, thanks. :)

9. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I have only used the python but I am impressed with the thickness and flexibility of the hose, the fittings on it also seem very sturdy. Mine also came with a brass adapter to thread into the faucet in place of the aerator which I have read is a big breaking point with the aqueons. The shutoff for the siphon is conveniently located should you inadvertantly suck up an inhabitant, I also have found that you can clean sand really well with it if you adjust the valve down until its almost able to pull the sand all the way up the cleaning tube but falls back down.

Mine neatly coils and uncoils each time I use it as well, all in all I'm very happy with it.

10. A

11. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Thanks for the info guys :) So far it looks like it's neck-and-neck! :p

12. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

13. A

I really think it's a matter of preference on the Vac's. I've actually read a lot of good reviews on all of them. So, whichever you choose, happy fish tank cleaning! :)

14. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

I didn't know it was possible to have a preference on water vacs :p I want one that takes the water out and puts clean water back in ;)

I forgot about that thread, thanks Matt :)

15. tunastrack

tunastrack Well Known Member Member

I too used the bucket method for wayyyy too long. Still have to on my smaller tanks. But for my 55 and 60 I now have the Aqueon 25'. I LOVE it. However like mentioned above, it does have a plastic sink adapter. Which I do struggle with to get it to screw on correctly. But other than that it works perfectly.

I like how it has a little bit shorter vacuum part to it. It makes it much easier to disinfect in between the two tanks. Because it fits well in a standard sized bucket (3 gal).

I would but mine again. If I had to. Good luck!

16. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

17. J

Janet Webster New Member Member

I have the 25' Aqueon, and it is a bit fussy to get the plastic adapter threaded right, but I haven't used the other so I have no comparison. It's just way better than buckets, and I got it on sale, so I went with the price point. The hose was a bit short, but a 99 cent adapter from the local hardware store and and additional 20 ft of hose took care if it for about $8, vs the extra $20 it would have cost for the 50' Aqueon. Water changes aren't a chore anymore!

18. flynruff

flynruff Valued Member Member

I've recently started using the aqueon. I went for based upon the fact that you can pick up parts at any petco/petsmart. I haven't had any issues with the plastic adapter threading.
    I cut down the hose to get rid of excess, which leads to a better syphon.

19. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Thanks for your opinions guys! It sounds like no matter what we get, we definitely shouldn't be using buckets anymore :p

20. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice