5 Gallon Tank Angel Fish wriggler question

SaadAli
Hey all , I hope everyone is doing well

So recently my angelfish laid eggs a second time , first time they made it to the wriggler stage and we're eaten..

This time round I moved the egg into another tank 5 gallon as there were only 20-30 eggs that were not eaten by the time I set the second tank up..

So I added methBlue , and I've got a heater and sponge filter set up

I moved the leaf into the other tank and accidentally made the wrigglers drop into the bare bottom

Is that okay?

And some seem to be wriggling and some only when the tank moves a bit

The rest are dead ?

Flyfisha
Hi SaadAli
Welcome to Fishlore.
Sorry for your loss. It’s never easy losing fry but hopefully you will work it out next time as we all learn as we go in this hobby.
I have zero experience with angelfish fry but suggest next time you use water from the main tank to fill the 5 gallon . This might help avoid some of the shock? The main tank gets a small water change to top it up.

Do you have plans to feed the fry any live food cultures?

SaadAli
No no some wrigglers are alive, but its weird , those that look dead start moving as soon as i shake the tank a bit to get a current going....

im planning to get brine shrimps to feed

Flyfisha
Excellent.
As I say I have no hands on with angelfish but think I have read the day old fry CAN eat the slime coat of the parents as a first meal. I could be completely wrong about that?
A smaller easy live food culture is micro worms.
Have you hatch baby brine before? The fry may not recognise frozen dead bb as a food.

fish 321
Live brine shrimp are the way to go. I have raised angels before and you just have to keep a supply of live brine shrimp going until the can eat powdered food.

SaadAli
I see , are there any other alternatives

Flyfisha
Infusorea. = Tiny ,Stinks really bad , an outdoor culture. Only good as a tiny food for fist meal.

Vinegar eels= still small . Not a complete food on its own , good for a week or so for smaller species that can’t eat baby brine for ten days . Smells like an open jar of vinegar,because that’s what it is.

Green water. Ideally the fry go into a dirty looking tank of pure green water. You can add it to fry tanks.
= its small plankton and plants ( algae).No smell.

Micro worms. = smaller than baby brine easy to culture. Has a slight smell of yeast for a month before you toss out the culture and start again using a teaspoon of the old culture. After a couple of months it will stink so much you will be sick if you don’t reset the culture.

Baby brine is ten minutes work per day no smell .
Plus the time it takes to feed each tank.

They are the cultures I am familiar with that are suitable for your small fry.

TClare
Another thing you can use is hard boiled egg yolk. Put a very small piece in a fine, brine shrimp net, squeeze the net with egg into the water and a cloud of super fine particles will come out. Only a little bit at a time and be careful with water quality. This method used to be common years ago when brine shrimp was more difficult to get, I don’t see it recommended often now but it works.

Latest threads

Top Bottom