Adopting a bunny in a different state?

Fishlover245735
Hello everyone! I have been researching/preparing for a bunny for around a year now. I have wanted a bunny for a while and my parents have already agreed! Before I start with the questions, yes I know rabbits are a 10+ year commitment and lots of work. As mentioned I have done my research and preparations.
My main question is whether or not I could adopt a bunny in LA and fly back home with him/her. Where I live has a few bunnies but not a lot and I have my heart set on a Holland lop. I would love to adopt and was looking at shelters with adoptable lops. I am flying to LA for spring break and noticed the amount of rescue bunnies they have.Could I fly home with a bunny granted that my airlines allowed it? Thanks!

Dennis57
If you have a small rabbit, he/she may be able to join you in the cabin.
Selected airlines will allow rabbits to fly with their owners in the cabin. This is as long as their cage will fit under the seat in front of you. If you have a large rabbit, then he/she would most likely need to fly in the cargo of the plane.

david1978
Dennis57 said:
If you have a small rabbit, he/she may be able to join you in the cabin.
Selected airlines will allow rabbits to fly with their owners in the cabin. This is as long as their cage will fit under the seat in front of you. If you have a large rabbit, then he/she would most likely need to fly in the cargo of the plane.
That's a copy and paste if I have ever seen one. Lol. As far as the adoption itself you may want to email them and ask. I'm sure you will need paper work of were you are taking it and if you rent a letter from your land lord.

Shika
david1978 said:
As far as the adoption itself you may want to email them and ask.
I second this. Some rescues refuse out of state adoptions on principal, and some require home checks. You may be able to "get around" the home check by giving them lots of photos of your home (i.e. where the rabbit will sleep, eat, etc.) and any outdoor areas the rabbit will be in.
(And with that, I'd suggest including any plans you have to make it 'rabbit safe'. Like 'I know the yard is open, but we're going to make a covered play-pen for the rabbit to have supervised outdoor playtime in' or 'we'll be attaching hooks to lift up all the electrical wires you see beside the TV stand')

You may also need to be ready for a lot of 'no's, especially if you're only going to get one. Rabbits are social and do better in bonded pairs; I know a lot of rabbit rescues refuse to adopt out single rabbits (unless you already have one at home and it bonds with the rescue and whatnot).

But! Rabbits are super amazing pets and, if I hadn't become allergic, I'd certainly still have them. (Word of warning though; their poop smells awful. I'd rather pick up twice as much from my dog than any amount from a rabbit. Yuck!)

stopwhiningsadie
Shika said:
I second this. Some rescues refuse out of state adoptions on principal, and some require home checks. You may be able to "get around" the home check by giving them lots of photos of your home (i.e. where the rabbit will sleep, eat, etc.) and any outdoor areas the rabbit will be in.
(And with that, I'd suggest including any plans you have to make it 'rabbit safe'. Like 'I know the yard is open, but we're going to make a covered play-pen for the rabbit to have supervised outdoor playtime in' or 'we'll be attaching hooks to lift up all the electrical wires you see beside the TV stand')

You may also need to be ready for a lot of 'no's, especially if you're only going to get one. Rabbits are social and do better in bonded pairs; I know a lot of rabbit rescues refuse to adopt out single rabbits (unless you already have one at home and it bonds with the rescue and whatnot).

But! Rabbits are super amazing pets and, if I hadn't become allergic, I'd certainly still have them. (Word of warning though; their poop smells awful. I'd rather pick up twice as much from my dog than any amount from a rabbit. Yuck!)
lol true that I use to have a male rabbit who wasn't neutered he pooped and sprayed a lot I had to clean his cage out everyday and the pee and poop smelled HORRIBLE he also would purposely mark his scent ON THE WOOD after I cleaned his cage!

Fishlover245735
stopwhiningsadie said:
lol true that I use to have a male rabbit who wasn't neutered he pooped and sprayed a lot I had to clean his cage out everyday and the pee and poop smelled HORRIBLE he also would purposely mark his scent ON THE WOOD after I cleaned his cage!
Lol! Smart bunny you had . I looked at Delta Airline’s website and it says they do not allow rabbits even though they do allow dogs, cats and reptiles.

I did find a breeder near me with a couple litters ready to go March 18 I believe is what it was... I called and emailed him to see if he has any available so we will see!

I had a few questions to ask you guys! Do you prefer a soft or a hard pet carrier? I’m leaning towards soft because it has a shoulder strap but would my bunny chew the fabric and how hard are they to clean?
My next question is if I do get a bunny from this breeder, it is a 2 hour drive. What should I bring to pick my bunny up and should I bring a carrier?
Sorry for all the questions guys. Thanks!

stopwhiningsadie
Fishlover245735 said:
Lol! Smart bunny you had . I looked at Delta Airline’s website and it says they do not allow rabbits even though they do allow dogs, cats and reptiles.

I did find a breeder near me with a couple litters ready to go March 18 I believe is what it was... I called and emailed him to see if he has any available so we will see!

I had a few questions to ask you guys! Do you prefer a soft or a hard pet carrier? I’m leaning towards soft because it has a shoulder strap but would my bunny chew the fabric and how hard are they to clean?
My next question is if I do get a bunny from this breeder, it is a 2 hour drive. What should I bring to pick my bunny up and should I bring a carrier?
Sorry for all the questions guys. Thanks!
I used a fabric carrier to transport my boy I just put a old towel for him to lay on or in case he pees because we was very scared on his first day surprisingly he never chewed on it but hey every rabbit is different I prefer the fabric carrier for car trips mine outgrew his cage and carrier and he was a minI lop! That breed Is supposed to be small but noo I raised a big boi and I think rabbits don't like the way lemons smell? So maybe you could spray that on fabric at home I'm not sure I got lucky with mine he never chewed on anything that wasn't food

Fishlover245735
Ok thanks! Do you have any brands of carriers that you use? My top option right now would be this one. I would get the medium size most likely.

stopwhiningsadie
Fishlover245735 said:
Ok thanks! Do you have any brands of carriers that you use? My top option right now would be this one. I would get the medium size most likely.
I got mine from walmart I don't remember what the brand was since you're getting it from amazon I would pay attention to the reviews and if you think the rabbit is gonna chew on the fabric petco sells these treats that rabbits can chew on it keeps them occupied I always hung one on the side of his cage

Latest threads

Top Bottom