Question Adding Betta Into Shrimp Tank?

Caffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So im starting my first shrimp tank soon once ive actually bought everything i need and have done a full cycle. The tank will be 5.5 gallons, low flow adjustable filter, planted, and optional lighting. Im planning on only getting 3 amano shrimp to start, but if all runs smoothly and the shrimp are healthy and living well; i would maybe like to add a betta to the tank (yes i am aware its not typical to add a betta to a shrimp tank considering the aggression in betta). I have a few questions about this though. One, if my amanos are large enough in size; will they not be seen as food? Two, since im adding the betta into another animals territory; are they less likely to be aggressive? Three, since bettas need a water heater; how should i adjust the shrimp to the water temp change? And will the heater stress/kill them? Lastly, i will likely add more plants and change things in the tank to adjust to the bettas needs aswell to be sure there is no aggression. This wont stress/kill the shrimp will it?

Please note that if adding a betta does come out to be way too risky or could kill my shrimp, then i will not add a betta even as a test. I value all the lives of my current and future animals.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It could go either way. The betta could go right for them or never even look at them . They all have individual personalities. You can try it then if it doesn't appear it's going to work have a back up plan. Such as another 5.5 ready. Good luck!!

LuxuriantTen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi!

1) As said above we can't really predict what will happen. All I can say is that my betta lives with 6 amano's without any problems. Even the small ones I added only 2 weeks ago..he never really cared so I personally think betta's can go with most shrimp, especially amano's which do not have such extraordinary colors.

2) Yes betta's are territorial and putting him in 2nd may make a difference. It's always worth to try!

3) amano's can tolerate higher temepratures without any problems. I would not go over 26 degrees celcius though mine do completely fine during these summer days when my tank sometimes reaches 28-29 degrees. Just make sure you take time to acclimate them, slowly raising the temperature

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
With bettas it's really cherries and similar sized shrimp that can become a snack. Amano shrimp tend to be alright with fish that others couldn't. Though there are always cases where it doesn't work. I make sure to choose more peaceful bettas. I have amano in all my tanks and they haven't been eaten by my bolivian rams, pearl gourami or banjo catfish let alone my bettas.

I will note that when they are kept with fish they hide most of the time in my experience. They definitely feel more confident in a shrimp tank and that's how I prefer them. It's only now that my betta is getting old that I have even seen my amano again.

Caffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kallililly1973 said:
It could go either way. The betta could go right for them or never even look at them . They all have individual personalities. You can try it then if it doesn't appear it's going to work have a back up plan. Such as another 5.5 ready. Good luck!!
Thank you for the help! I wish betta werent so territorial.....i may get a female to lower the risks even more

LuxuriantTen said:
Hi!

1) As said above we can't really predict what will happen. All I can say is that my betta lives with 6 amano's without any problems. Even the small ones I added only 2 weeks ago..he never really cared so I personally think betta's can go with most shrimp, especially amano's which do not have such extraordinary colors.

2) Yes betta's are territorial and putting him in 2nd may make a difference. It's always worth to try!

3) amano's can tolerate higher temepratures without any problems. I would not go over 26 degrees celcius though mine do completely fine during these summer days when my tank sometimes reaches 28-29 degrees. Just make sure you take time to acclimate them, slowly raising the temperature
Bettas are such little individuals, its a great thing and a struggle haha. I just worry about my poor amanos getting attacked when im the one who added the betta . Also, thats what i was thinking with the temps. Adding a heater and slowly adjusting it over a week period then adding in the betta.

Feohw said:
With bettas it's really cherries and similar sized shrimp that can become a snack. Amano shrimp tend to be alright with fish that others couldn't. Though there are always cases where it doesn't work. I make sure to choose more peaceful bettas. I have amano in all my tanks and they haven't been eaten by my bolivian rams, pearl gourami or banjo catfish let alone my bettas.

I will note that when they are kept with fish they hide most of the time in my experience. They definitely feel more confident in a shrimp tank and that's how I prefer them. It's only now that my betta is getting old that I have even seen my amano again.
May i ask what you mean by more peaceful bettas? Do you mean the females over the males or something else?

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Caffee said:
May i ask what you mean by more peaceful bettas? Do you mean the females over the males or something else?
In the shop you can see which bettas are aggressive depending on their interactions. In America you can hold the little cups together and see which acts out the most and which is more calm. Here in Ireland I had to test it out in the bags they were shipped in.

When I see a betta in a community tank in the store I can judge based on how it acts if it's aggressive or calm. Even though my betta is more peaceful than others he did still go for the shrimp at first before he realized he couldn't get them. His tail was too larger for him to be anywhere near quick enough. Females aren't guaranteed to be more peaceful, and they won't have the problem of a large tail to slow them down. Though I haven't had problems with my males or females with amanos, other than constant hiding.

Caffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Feohw said:
In the shop you can see which bettas are aggressive depending on their interactions. In America you can hold the little cups together and see which acts out the most and which is more calm. Here in Ireland I had to test it out in the bags they were shipped in.

When I see a betta in a community tank in the store I can judge based on how it acts if it's aggressive or calm. Even though my betta is more peaceful than others he did still go for the shrimp at first before he realized he couldn't get them. His tail was too larger for him to be anywhere near quick enough. Females aren't guaranteed to be more peaceful, and they won't have the problem of a large tail to slow them down. Though I haven't had problems with my males or females with amanos, other than constant hiding.
Thats actually a great ideas with the cups. Hate to stress the little guys out in those ugly cups, but if it helps me get the chance to get a betta without loosing shrimp then its worth it. Thanks for the help!

JDK426

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bettas are very aggressive. If you were to do this . I would do a few things to minimize the casualties so to say lol.
1. I would not put them in with all of my shrimp because you may have to start entirely over.
2. I would put lots of grass and structure for shrimp to take cover.
3. Youre going to lose some shrimp. So if you put culls in there fine, but I would not put my main stock or entire stock (see #1)

LuxuriantTen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm always suprised when people say betta's are very aggressive. They really aren't it's just up to the owner to make the feel comfortable and they can go along with nearly all community fish/invertebrates without any problems. Where I'm from all betta's in stores are in community tanks with other fish so you buy a fish that's already used to live with other fish. It's so much better than the plastic cups they're sold in like in America for instance.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
JDK426 said:
Bettas are very aggressive. If you were to do this . I would do a few things to minimize the casualties so to say lol.
1. I would not put them in with all of my shrimp because you may have to start entirely over.
2. I would put lots of grass and structure for shrimp to take cover.
3. Youre going to lose some shrimp. So if you put culls in there fine, but I would not put my main stock or entire stock (see #1)
This tank just has amano shrimp as far as I'm aware so there's no colony to destroy, culls to experiment with and the shrimp are larger/hardier.
LuxuriantTen said:
I'm always suprised when people say betta's are very aggressive. They really aren't it's just up to the owner to make the feel comfortable and they can go along with nearly all community fish/invertebrates without any problems. Where I'm from all betta's in stores are in community tanks with other fish so you buy a fish that's already used to live with other fish. It's so much better than the plastic cups they're sold in like in America for instance.
Each person has different experiences. My bettas have all been relatively peaceful, but there are definitely fish I wouldn't keep them with in my other community tank. Some people have bettas that decimate shrimp colonies and other fish. Bettas here are in tanks too, very glad we don't have the cups!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom