Tunze Nano Protein Skimmer ReviewFinding a good small sized protein skimmer for a nano tank setup can be difficult. The Tunze Nano 9002 DOC Protein Skimmer is made for smaller tanks. Often times hobbyists try to cut corners and buy the cheapest equipment available. When it comes to protein skimmers this could be a foolish move. You may end up spending more on several inexpensive protein skimmers only to realize later that you need to shell out the dough for a better unit. This Tunze skimmer is on the upper end of the price scale for its size. Is it worth it? Read on.
Some quick highlights on this Tunze Nano Protein Skimmer:
- Recommended for aquariums up to 52 gallons (196 liters) for FOWLR or Soft Coral aquariums but only up to 26 gallons (98 liters) for stony coral aquariums
- Claims to remove up to 80% of proteins and cellulose
- Dimensions: 4.9" L x 2.1" W x 13.3" H
- Can be mounted on glass thickness up to 19 mm (.74 inches)
- Claims to be gentle on plankton the way the water diffuses through a small opening in the bottom of the skimmer and may be more suitable for breeder tanks that utilize live plankton. Hmm.
- Immersion depth: approx. 180 to 220 mm (7 to 8.6 inches)
- Power Consumption: 10 Watts
- Skimmer cup volume: .3 liters (.079 US gallons)
- Air capacity: 150 l/h (39.6 US gal/h)
- Internal Nano Pump 800.040
- Comes with cleaning and maintenance brushes
- Retail Price: $150+
Setting up the Tunze Nano Protein Skimmer was a little more trouble than it should have been. I should have first tried to fit it into the JBJ 28 Gallon Nano cube that this was going in, but I read the directions first. After about 10 confusing minutes of reading how to install the holding brackets I tried to put it in without the brackets and guess what... It fits perfectly without the mounting brackets. However, the collection cup is pretty big and in order for the collection cup to fit properly a small 3 inch piece on the back of the canopy on the JBJ 28 gallon nano cube had to be cut out. No biggie. The manual is decent but you have to page through German directions to find the English directions. If you need to use the mounting brackets, good luck understanding it. It may take you a few tries getting it set up properly with the mounting brackets.
You regulate the skimming power of the Tunze Nano Protein Skimmer via a blue twist screw that regulates the amount of air that enters the skimmer. It's somewhat sensitive to adjust at first. With the skimmer collection cup off the unit you can actually see the bubble amount while twisting the screw. Finding that perfect amount of skimmate you're looking for should be easily accomplished with this unit. Wet, light tea colored skimmate or dry and dark colored skimmate, it's up to you.
Here are some pictures of the Tunze Nano Protein Skimmer:
Here are some photos of the first 24 - 36 hours:
I'm giving the Tunze Nano Protein Skimmer . There are so many under performing skimmers in this size class and this one as well as the Aquac Remora stands out among them all.
Author : Mike FishLore
Add Your Comments
Related Aquarium Equipment Articles
© FishLore.com - providing tropical fish tank and aquarium information for freshwater fish and saltwater fish keepers.