Reef Invertebrates Guide to Selection, Care and CompatibilityBy Anthony Calfo and Robert Fenner
Publisher: TFH Publications (2003)
Reef Invertebrates, An Essential Guide to Selection, Care and Compatibility is written by two authors, Anthony Calfo and Robert Fenner. Both of them are well known in saltwater and reef tank aquarium circles for their good advice and excellent books. Does this book stack up to their other works?
This is a fairly big book spanning about 400 pages and there are a lot of really good invertebrate pictures throughout the book. It is basically a huge tome of profile information for reef keepers wanting to know more about the invertebrates available online or at their local saltwater shop or maybe even something that has come in on their live rock as a hitchhiker in their reef tank setup.
If you're like me, you've spent countless hours staring at the live rock in your tank and you have come to appreciate not only the exceptionally beautiful saltwater fish species, but also the tiny inverts and macro algae that can sometimes come to life in a well established tank. Perhaps you are interested in finding out more information on a particular invert that can perform some sort of function within your reef tank. This book will most likely please you in that it provides all of that information and then some.Topics covered in Reef Invertebrates Guide to Selection, Care and Compatibility:
- Living Filters - reviews topics on live sand, live rock, substrates, refugiums, plants and algae for the marine aquarium. From curing live rock and sand to setting up and maintaining a refugium with ideas for marine plants and macro algae. The refugium section was really well written and provided plenty of information on several different types of refugiums you can create and the purposes of doing so, such as culturing plankton. The section on marine algae covers all of the algae types and ways to grow and/or control them.
- Selection - gives you some ideas on what to look for and what to avoid when selecting species.
- Husbandry - provides information on saltwater tank set up, aquarium lighting and water flow requirements.
- Feeding and Nutrition - covers the various types of available foods and those you can grow yourself along with the mechanisms for delivering them to your inverts.
- Reproduction - reviews reef reproduction by group. Sponges, worms, mollusks, crustaceans, bivalves, clams and shrimp reproduction methods
- Invertebrates Species Overviews - sponges, worms, bivalves, tridacnid clams, cephalopods, shrimp, crabs, lobsters, urchins, cucumbers and sea stars. This is the biggest part of the book and, to me at least, the best part. It includes anything and everything you would want to know about the aforementioned species. Selection, care, husbandry and other pertinent requirements are covered in depth. It is packed with excellent photos for help in identifying hitchhikers as well as desirable species you might want to purchase.
Reef Invertebrates Guide to Selection, Care and Compatibility is an excellent resource for the reef enthusiast or someone interested in these life forms. This is one of those books that you will find yourself returning to repeatedly for information. I've read books by Calfo and Fenner in the past and they are always putting out good stuff. This is another win for these two and I give this book five stars () and would definitely recommend it to a reef keeping friend.
Author : Mike FishLore
Reviewed by: Mike FishLore
Summary: Saltwater Invertebrates Book
Description: A book that provides information on keeping saltwater invertebrates in the home saltwater aquarium.
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars.
Add Your Comments
© FishLore.com - providing tropical fish tank and aquarium information for freshwater fish and saltwater fish keepers.