Simple Guide to Mini-Reef Aquariums
Updated August 12, 2019
Author: Mike - FishLore Admin
If you are interested in starting a saltwater reef aquarium it's a good idea to do some research first. The Simple Guide to Mini-Reef Aquariums is a good starting point. The author touches on all of the topics that you need to know about when setting up a small reef system. The topics covered in Simple Guide to Mini-Reef Aquariums include:
- A Mini-Reef introduction - provides an explanation as to what you can expect with running this type of tank and gives advice on how you can help the reef hobby by being a responsible aquarist.
- Alternative Information Sources - talks about other places to reach out to for more information.
- Live Sand Beds - discusses sand beds, deep sand beds and the nitrogen cycle.
- Live Rock - A great chapter on live rock and the benefits of using live rock as well as detailed information on how to cure it.
- Water Quality - So much rides on the water quality in your tank. This chapter of Simple Guide to Mini-Reef Aquariums talks about the water coming out of your tap and the things that may be in it that you may not be aware of. Reverse Osmosis units are talked about and whether or not you really need one of these units. This chapter also explains mixing salt water and how to measure it (salinity and specific gravity).
- Light Options - Aquarium lighting may be the most expensive part of keeping a reef tank. Learn about your various options and the pros and cons of each in this chapter.
- Aquarium Filtration - all about mechanical, biological, chemical filtration and protein skimmers.
- Water Changes - Talks about how much and how often you should be changing your reef tank water.
- Water Additives and Test Kits - explains all of the essential things you should be testing for and what additives you should plan on using in your reef tank.
- Part Four of the Simple Guide to Mini-Reef Aquariums is all about reef inhabitants - my favorite part of the book - talks about good corals for the beginner to start out with, acclimation techniques, fish that you can include in your reef tank and invertebrates that can be included.
After reading the Simple Guide to Mini-Reef Aquariums you should be armed with the information you need to make the decision on whether or not you really want to venture into the reef tank side of the saltwater hobby. This book is a great investment and should be the first thing you purchase if you want to get into reef aquariums. We give this book .
Reviewed by: Mike FishLore
Summary: Book review on the Simple Guide to Mini-Reef Aquariums.
Description: The Simple Guide to Mini-Reef Aquariums is a good starting point. The author touches on all of the topics that you need to know about when setting up a small reef system.
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.
Simple Guide to Mini-Reef Aquariums Reader Reviews
|From: Salt Dude|
I found Simple Guide to Mini-Reef Aquariums to be useful but not loaded with in depth information. It is a good reference and introduction for those that are interested in getting started with a reef tank but if you want to really get into the reef side of the hobby, you may be a little disappointed. If you just want a good introduction though this book is a good one. It was well written and provides some good info.