Marine Fishes, 500 Essential to Know Aquarium Species
Updated August 12, 2019
Author: Mike - FishLore Admin
Marine Fishes, 500 Essential to Know Aquarium Species by Scott Michael is a quick reference guide that contains over 500 saltwater fish profiles. Each profile has a nice color picture of the fish and covers items such as:
- Common name and Scientific Name
- Maximum Length - in inches and centimeters
- Range (for example, where it can be found in the wild). This information could be useful to those interested in stocking a tank with fish from the same geographical area.
- Minimum Aquarium Size (in gallons and liters) - this is a recommendation based on the adult size of the fish.
- Foods & Feeding - will tell you if the fish is difficult to feed as well as what foods to feed them.
- Aquarium Suitability Index - a rating from 1 to 5 that will clue you in on how hardy and how adaptable each species is to captivity.
- Reef Aquarium Compatibility - gives advice on whether or not to keep them in a reef tank setup and some of the issues they may present in a reef tank environment.
- Captive Care - provides you with the general temperament of the fish and other information that will help you with keeping them in your tank.
If you're just getting into the saltwater hobby then this book should be one of your first purchases. It makes it very easy to research possible candidates for your new tank. You'll know right away which fish to consider and which ones to avoid. Take it with you when you visit the local fish store and you'll know right away whether you can meet the necessary requirements for keeping most of the commonly available marine species.
The pictures alone make Marine Fishes, 500 Essential to Know Aquarium Species worth the price. The profile information is gravy. We give it 4.5 stars.
Reviewed by: Mike FishLore
Summary: Book review of Marine Fishes, 500 Essential to Know Aquarium Species
Description: This book is a quick reference guide that contains over 500 saltwater fish profiles. Each profile has a nice color picture of the fish and covers several important items.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars.
More Aquarium Book Reviews