Koi - Super Simple Guide
Updated August 12, 2019
Author: Mike - FishLore Admin
The Super Simple Guide to Koi written by Brian Scott is a book from T.F.H. publications that is all about Koi. In general Koi are considered pond fish so you need a backyard pond or similar if you plan on keeping them. If you are new to keeping Koi then this book should be on your list of things to read. The author provides all the information you need to get you up to speed quickly in their care, equipment needed, feeding, diseases and how to care for this fish year round.
The topics covered in the Super Simple Guide to Koi:
Part One - Understanding Koi
- Chapter 1: Origin and Natural History of Koi - What are Koi, developing a plan, the importance of information, showing off your Koi
- Chapter 2: Anatomy, Physiology of Koi - Internal fish anatomy and physiology, external anatomy and physiology, the unique feature of Koi
- Chapter 3: The Selection Process - Knowing what to look for, basic koi varieties, buying koi, adjusting (acclimating fish) to their new home
- Chapter 4: Nutritional Requirements - Fish Food and feeding, from fry to adults, dietary supplements
- Chapter 5: Water Volume and Surface Area - the right size pond, the importance of space, stocking density
- Chapter 6: Life Support for Your Koi - the importance of the nitrogen cycle, maintaining good water quality, filtration for your koi pond.
- Chapter 7: Miscellaneous Equipment - Nets and Koi Socks, Holding and examination containers, automatic feeders and feeding rings.
- Chapter 8: Common Diseases and Disorders - freshwater fish disease, Parasitic protozoan outbreaks, flukes, anchor worms and fish lice, treating parasitic diseases, bacterial infections, fungal infections, viral infections, treating bacterial and fungal infections, dips and baths (very good section), medicated food, preventative measures.
- Chapter 9: Breeding and Reproduction - conditioning adult Koi, spawning sites, common problems
- Chapter 10: Caring for Your Koi Year Round - care in autumn, winter, spring, summer and final thoughts
This book does a good job of educating the novice about keeping Koi and all that it involves. I would give the Super Simple Guide to Koi
Reviewed by: Mike FishLore
Summary: Book review of the Super Simple Guide to Koi.
Description: he author provides all the information you need to get you up to speed quickly in their care, equipment needed, feeding, diseases and how to care for this fish year round.
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.