W - Aquarium Dictionary
- Water Change :
- refers to the process of removing a percentage of the aquarium water in order to improve water conditions for your fish. Unlike a fish's natural environment, aquariums are enclosed systems that quickly become polluted with biological substance buildup and dissolved organics. A water change is a good way of reducing the number of pollutants in aquarium water. Frequent and small water changes are considered better than infrequent large water changes. If you want to make your life easier, look into getting a python water changer:
- Water Parameters :
- refers to the measurement of various levels in the aquarium. For example, aquariums that have been recently set up need to have their ammonia and nitrite parameters measured frequently in order to monitor the nitrogen cycle. Some other important water parameters that are frequently measured include temperature, pH, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, magnesium, alkalinity, etc. Measuring water parameters such as these will give the aquarist a general idea of the water quality in the aquarium.
- Water Pump :
- is aquarium equipment that is designed to move water in an aquarium. External water pumps are used to pull water from the aquarium and send it to sumps or refugiums. After the water passes through the sump or refugium it is pushed back into the tank. Water pumps are also used in closed loop circulation systems that are designed to increase the water movement within the aquarium.
- Wave Maker :
- is an aquarium device that is designed to simulate waves in the aquarium. Most often used in saltwater aquariums, there are stand alone products that pull in water and once the water reaches a certain level in the wavemaker, it is quickly released back into the tank, creating a surge or wave. Multiple power heads connected to a switching device that turns the various power heads on and off in intervals can achieve a similar effect but the constant tripping of power to power heads can cause accelerated wear and tear on the power heads. They are now even making wave maker kits. See below:
Wave Maker Kit
- Whisper Filter :
- an aquarium power filter made by Tetra that comes in different sized filter units to accomodate aquariums anywhere from 10 gallons up to 70 gallons. More here:
- White Spots :
- see Ich.
- WPG :
- abbreviation for Watts Per Gallon and used in reference to aquarium lighting. Light intensity and aquarium depth are more important factors than Watts Per Gallon. WPG is a crude rule for estimating the amount of light needed for various organisms such as freshwater aquarium plants, corals and other invertebrates.
- Wet-Dry Filter :
- is an aquarium filter that incorporates a dry portion (air) in the filtration process. The exposure to the air increases the biological filtration capabilities of the filter. Trickle filters and bio-wheel filters incorporate a wet-dry filter portion.
- White Spot Disease :
- see Ich.
© FishLore.com - providing tropical fish tank and aquarium information for freshwater fish and saltwater fish keepers