V - Aquarium Dictionary
Updated August 12, 2019
Author: Mike - FishLore Admin
Aquarium Fish Definition and Glossary
- Vitachem :
- a fish supplement made by Boyd Enterprises that contains vitamins and has been used in the hobby for over 20 years. They boast that fish have better coloration, spawning and growth rates. See:
Vitachem on Amazon
- Venturi Valve :
- used in protein skimmers, a venturi valve draws in air and mixes it with aquarium water to create tiny micro-bubbles.
- Vegetable Clip :
- a small clip with a suction cup that attaches to the aquarium glass that allows you to conveniently feed fish foods such as nori as well as other fish foods. See:
Lettuce Clip on Amazon
- VHO :
- stands for Very High Output and refers to fluorescent aquarium lighting. They typically range from 75-160 watts. These usually produce more heat than HO fluorescent bulbs and a fan (or an aquarium chiller) is needed to keep the tank temperature within an acceptable range.
- Velvet Disease :
- also known as Coral Fish Disease, velvet disease is caused by single cell organisms (Amyloodinium in saltwater fish and Piscinoodinium or Oodinium in freshwater fish). This disease can look very similar to ich or white spot disease, but velvet looks more yellow or gray and "dust like" instead of salt like. Velvet can be difficult to eradicate and a separate quarantine tank may be needed. There are many fish medicines on the market to treat velvet. Also see Fish Disease.