K - Aquarium Dictionary
Updated August 12, 2019
Author: Mike - FishLore Admin
Aquarium Fish Definition and Glossary
- K - Kelvin :
- For fish keepers, the Kelvin scale is a thermodynamic temperature scale used when referring to the color of fluorescent lighting. A candle flame is about 1800°, daylight is about 6500° and a cloudless day could be 10,000° plus. fluorescent lighting wise 10,000°K bulbs are a crisp white and 20,000°K are more blue in color.
- Kalkwasser :
- a German word that translated means "lime water". Kalkwasser is calcium hydroxide that is usually administered using a dosing system. The dosing system can be automated whereby the dose is controlled by the pH levels in the aquarium or it can be a manual process of dosing kalkwasser during water-top offs or slow-dripped into the aquarium. The good thing about kalkwasser is that it will supplement both calcium and help keep the alkalinity level and the pH stable. For more, see:
Kalkwasser on Amazon
- Kalk Reactor :
- a piece of aquarium equipment that is used to mix freshwater with calcium hydroxide (kalkwasser) using an automated stirring mechanism in tandem with a slow dosing system.
- Kanamycin :
- an aquarium fish medication used to treat fungal and bacterial fish diseases. Kanamycin can be difficult to find but Kanaplex (below), which is the same thing, is more easily found.
- Kanaplex :
- an aquarium fish medicine made by Seachem that is used to treat several fungal and bacterial fish diseases. More info
Kanaplex on Amazon
- Kelvin :
- refers to the Kelvin Scale that is used to measure the color temperature of light. Common color temperatures (measured in Kelvin - °K) are 6,000°K, 6,700°K, 10,000°K and 20,000°K. Saltwater Reef tank keepers sometimes experiment with lights of various lighting temperatures to get maxiumum growth out of their corals.
- Kordon :
- an aquarium supplement and product manufacturer. They make a fairly popular Ich medicine called Rid-Ich+. They also make a product called Fish Protector that is used to increase the slime coat on fish and ease stress to help limit losses. See more below:
- Krill :
- is a small crustacean that is used to increase the colors in fish. Krill should only be used occasionally as a supplement. See:
Krill on Amazon