E - Aquarium and Fish Dictionary
- Ecosystem :
- can be thought of as an environment or location and all the organsims and animals that make up this environment along with their relationships with each other and their relationship with the environment.
- Egg Burier :
- is a reproductive method where the fish will dig a pit and the female will release her eggs into the pit and then the male fertilizes them. One of the parents will usually guard the eggs while the other guards the immediate vicinity, keeping any egg eaters away.
- Egg Layer :
- or Egg Depositor, this is a method of fish reproduction where the female places the eggs in a particular location (vertical surface, plant leaf, inside driftwood, etc.) and the male comes behind releasing sperm to fertilize the eggs.
- Egg Scatterer :
- is a reproductive strategy where the female fish drops the eggs as she swims and the males releases sperm into the water at the same time. It's not the most effecient strategy since many of the eggs fall into the substrate or get eaten by the other fish. Bare bottoms tanks are highly recommended in order to increase your chances of success when breeding egg scatterers.
- Endangered Species :
- is an organism, animal or fish that is at risk of becoming extinct. It could mean that the natural population of the animal is dwindling or the habitat of the animal is under serious threat.
- Endemic :
- means that a fish or animal is native to the particular place or geographical location.
- Endosymbiosis :
- when an organism lives within the cells of another organism. Also see: symbiosis
- Estuary :
- is a body of water connected to the ocean with freshwater rivers flowing into it.
- Euthanize :
- to terminate a fish in a painless manner in order to stop its suffering resulting from disease or injury.
- Extinct :
- when a species is no longer living.
© FishLore.com - providing tropical fish tank and aquarium information for freshwater fish and saltwater fish keepers