Complete Encyclopedia of the Saltwater Aquarium
Updated August 12, 2019
Author: Mike - FishLore Admin
Publisher: Firefly Books Ltd. (2003)
The Complete Encyclopedia of the Saltwater Aquarium by Nick Dakin is very large, weighing in at about 4 pounds and consisting of 400 pages of saltwater information. I don't know if "encyclopedia" is an accurate title for this book but it is chock full of information nonetheless. It covers a broad range of subjects pertaining to keeping marine fish and invertebrates in a home aquarium. Everything from information on the wild world of marine fish to setting up the tank to individual fish and invertebrate profiles. There are very nice, large, full color photographs on nearly every page of this giant book.
Topics Covered in the Complete Encyclopedia of the Saltwater Aquarium:
- The Marine Environment - Part one of this book deals with background information on the reefs of the world where tropical fish are located. Marine fish and invertebrate biology is discussed as well as proper care and collection techniques for the sustainability of this hobby.
- Setting Up the Aquarium - Presents marine tank setup information in an easy to understand way. Advice on selecting a tank is included as well as information on every other facet of setting up your own tank. Aquarium Lighting, Water Parameters, Filtration Systems, Protein Skimmers and detailed directions with photos on how to hook everything up.
- Marine Fish and Invertebrate Care - This part of the book deals with selecting fish and invertebrates, feeding, breeding and general care requirements for your fish and inverts. This is really a section on general care of your fishes.
- Tropical Marine Fish Profiles - Most families are discussed with detailed profiles on the more common species along with fantastic full color photos of many, many fish.
- Tropical Marine Invertebrate Profiles - Same goes for the invertebrate profile section. Tons of information on sponges, corals, anemones, worms, crabs, shrimps, sea stars and sea squirts.
- Coldwater Aquariums - The final section deals with coldwater aquarium topics, the various marine algae and also a really cool section on species that should be avoided by hobbyists. Scientific names, pictures and reasons for avoiding these species are provided.
The Complete Encyclopedia of the Saltwater Aquarium will make an excellent resource for any hobbyist, beginner or advanced! Since it is nicely designed, hardbacked and full of wonderful full color photographs it will also make an excellent coffee table book. Get your hands on this book! We give the Complete Encyclopedia of the Saltwater Aquarium
Reviewed by: Mike FishLore
Summary: A definitive reference to more than 300 marine fish and invertebrate species
Description: I don't know if "encyclopedia" is an accurate title for this book but it is chock full of information nonetheless.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars.
More Aquarium Book Reviews