The Coral Reef Aquarium - From Inception to CompletionBy Tony Vargas, Ricordea Publishing (2011)
The Coral Reef Aquarium - From Inception to Completion is written by a reef aquarium keeper named Tony Vargas. This book is a little different from other aquarium set up books in that it covers only reef tank setups. The first half of the book goes over the decision process on selecting the type of tank you want to set up and all the equipment you are going to need. The second half of the book contains profiles of real hobbyist set ups with reef tanks ranging in size from 25 gallon nano set ups all the way up to 20,000 gallon set ups. The pictures in this part of the book are amazing and you can get a lot of really good ideas just from reading how these hobbyists have set up their tanks.
There are no fish profiles in this book. There is just reef tank set up information. So if you're a newbie and starting a reef tank from scratch you'll need to pick up another book regarding suitable reef fish or be prepared to do your research online for getting ideas on fish you can keep.The chapters:
- Chapter One - Factors & Considerations
- Chapter Two - The Decision Process
- Chapter Three - The Fundamentals
- Chapter Four - Maintenance
- Chapter Five - Acclimation & Quarantine
- Chapter Six - 25 Gallon Nano Reef System
- Chapter Seven - 90 Gallon Reef System
- Chapter Eight - 180 Gallon Reef System
- Chapter Nine - 500 Gallon Reef System
- Chapter Ten - 20,000 Gallon Reef System
- Chapter Eleven - Reef Tanks from Around the World - this is my favorite part of the book. Some of the tanks listed here are jaw dropping. Check out Thodoris Stoidis (Greece) 85 Gallon reef tank setup and Franco Dodaro's (Italy) 116 Gallon reef aquarium. These tanks are perfection. I don't know how some of these people are able to get anything else done in life. I would never stop looking at these tanks!
- Acronyms, Glossary, Bibliography
The Coral Reef Aquarium - From Inception to Completion is a good resource for both newbies and the more seasoned reef tank keepers. For the newbies there is good set up information and for the seasoned salties the hobbyist tanks in the second half of the book will be interesting to you. The selling price right now for this book is $40 to $50 dollars. One way to make this book more complete would be to have more details (lessons learned during set up, more info on the animals in the tank) in the hobbyist profiles section of the book along with a section on reef tank safe fish species. But, it's still definitely worth getting. Thank you Tony for writing this nice, up to date resource for hobbyists. We give this book
Author : Mike FishLore
Check the latest price of this book on Amazon.com
Reviewed by: Mike FishLore
Summary: Book review of the Coral Reef Aquarium.
Description: This book is a little different from other aquarium set up books in that it covers only reef tank setups.
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.
© FishLore.com - providing tropical fish tank and aquarium information for freshwater fish and saltwater fish keepers.