Breeding Freshwater Fish BookConditioning, Mate Selection, Brood Care, Raising the Fry and Species Catalogue
By Laura Muha, TFH Publications (2005)
Breeding Freshwater Fish by Laura Muha is from the Super Simple Guide book series that is all about breeding freshwater fish in the home aquarium. The author will walk you through most everything you need to know to get started on the right track. Information such as methods of reproduction, breeding setups, planning your setup, diet and nutrition to get your adult fish in the mood for spawning, how to care and raise the fry and more are presented in this book.
Breeding Freshwater Fish covers a lot of ground and details how to breed a lot of different fish species. So, what all is included in this breeding book you might be wondering? See below.
- Chapter 1 - Why Breed Aquarium Fish - breeding for profit, for educational purposes, for conservation, because it's challenging and breeding as a social activity
- Chapter 2 - The Biology of Breeding Fish - methods or reproduction, the breeder's role, a word about hybrids
- Chapter 3 - Planning Ahead - what to do with all those fry, pros and cons of different breeding setups, planning the physical setup
- Chapter 4 - Diet and Nutrition of Adult Fish - conditioning: getting your fish in the mood, troubleshooting
- Chapter 5 - Fry Care - water quality, a word on stocking density, feeding fry, incubating eggs, stripping mouth brooders, culling
- Chapter 6 - Live bearers - Guppy, Platy, Swordtail, Mollies
- Chapter 7 - Gourami - Anabantoids - Pearl Gourami, Paradise Fish, Dwarf Gourami, Betta, Chocolate Gourami
- Chapter 8 - Catfish - Bronze Corydoras Catfish, Bristlenose Catfish, Cuckoo Catfish, False Corydoras
- Chapter 9 - Characins (Tetras) - Lemon Tetra, Neon Tetra, Three-striped Pencilfish, Marbled Hatchetfish, Red-bellied Piranha, Silver Dollars, Blind Cave Tetra
- Chapter 10 - Cichlids - Angelfish, Benga Yellow Peacock, Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid, Discus, Kribensis, Oscar, Zebra Mbuna, Many-banded Shell Dweller
- Chapter 11 - Cyprinids - Barbs - Cherry Barb, Tiger Barb, Zebra Danio, Goldfish, White Cloud Mountain Minnow, Harlequin Rasbora, Scissortail Rasbora
- Chapter 12 - Rainbowfish - Boeseman's Rainbowfish, Forktailed Blue Eyes
- Resources, Weights and Measures, Index
Author : Mike FishLore
Reviewed by: Mike FishLore
Summary: Book review on Breeding Freshwater Fish.
Description: This book is from the Super Simple Guide book series that is all about breeding freshwater fish in the home aquarium.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars.
© FishLore.com - providing tropical fish tank and aquarium information for freshwater fish and saltwater fish keepers.