Member Spotlight on Aquarist48Online Aquarium Fish Magazine | Member Spotlight - Aquarist48 (Ken)
My 155 gallon has been full and running for 10 years now. It has a built in over flow with a wet/dry (or trickle down) filtration system powered by a 950 mag drive. I have it stocked with 9 Blood Red Parrots, 5 Silver Dollars, 1 Cory Cat, 1 Pleco and 1 Red Finned Shark. They age from 5 years old to a little over 8 years old. It has been at lest 5 years since I added any new fish to this tank. I use 3 water conditioners, Amquel +, Nova Aqua + and Immune Plus. My fish have been disease free (knock on wood) for all of these 8 years.
My 26 gallon, which I started in March 2009 houses 2 Blood Red Parrot juvies and 1 Cory Cat. Everyone is doing well. The filtration on the tank is an Aqua Clear 110 hang on back with an attached surface skimmer. (Stealth heaters and plastic plants in both tanks) For me terra cotta pots are a necessity for hiding spots in both tanks. Not only do they make great little homes, they are also porous and are great for the water biology and chemistry of the tank.
A few tips for fish keeping:
- Learn about the Nitrogen Cycle before making any purchases.
- Research the species of fish that you want to house in your aquarium
- Do frequent water changes
- Try and maintain a stable pH (via water changes)
- Avoid pH adjusters
- Limit the number of chemicals going into the tank
- Avoid temperature fluctuations
- Have emergency back up supplies (filters, filter media, heaters, air supply)
- Have a quarantine tank
- Learn acclimation procedures
- Do not over feed
- Become a member of FISH LORE
Doh! It's time to feed fish!
© FishLore.com - providing tropical fish tank and aquarium information for freshwater fish and saltwater fish keepers.