Zulu the Dino!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Makena95'GT, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Makena95'GT

Makena95'GTWell Known MemberMember

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357579049.192254.jpg
    I've been wanting one of these guys for a while now, finally got the money to get one. He's growing out in a 45 gallon with male guppies and Mystery Snails. Once he's big enough to bot get his butt handed to him in a fight, he will move in with the young Convicts in the 75 gallon. I'm hoping he can be used when I need to cull off any deformed fry, let him eat them so I won't feel as bad. Also use him to dwindle down the Convict population when they breed again. I think he's my new favorite. :)

2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

My senegal could not take care of convicts - I would not expect yours to handle the population. If you killed the fish and put it in the tank, it will eat it. But catching them on their own? Nope. It's not that great of a hunter.

I had one of the convict fry survive being eaten in the 75 (the knife and ctenopoma are good hunters). Once it was the size of the tip of my pinky, it ruled the tank, including dominating the 6 inch bichir.

3. OP
    OP
    Makena95'GT

Well darn. I will forever be haunted by Convicts

4. Jaysee

If you fast the fish for several days after they hatch, the fry won't survive.

5. OP
    OP
    Makena95'GT

Ideally I'd like to rehome ALL the Convicts.. But not very many people want them. Except my boss. Lol

6. Jaysee

Yes, and the people you do give them to will not keep taking them, unless they are feeding them to something.