Zucchini Question

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Jake the Fish, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Jake the Fish

Jake the Fish Valued Member Member

How do you serve zucchini to fish? I heard that you cut it into medallions and put it in the microwave. Should I cut a piece of zucchini in half and put it in the tank?

2. steed1172

steed1172 Well Known Member Member

well it depends on what fish you want to eat it(and whether or not the fish want to eat it)

when i prepare it for my pleco, i slice,blanch, and drop into tank
    blanching is putting veggies into water that is already boiling for a short amount of time, then placing them into ice cold water to"shock" them, and stop the cooking(or in the aquarium to cool it enough so your fish dont get burned)

my bala sharks like it when i slice it really thin
    of course not all fish will eat it at first, but just keep trying. remember to microwave the veg so that its soft, otherwise its really hard for fish to eat, try small chunks of it at feeding time,(small as the size of the fishes eye, unless its for the pleco, then just place the whole slice in)

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I feed zucchini to my Pleco and he loves it. All I do is rinse it off, weight it down and drop it in the tank. I slice them so it's round. I've never blanched the zucchini but it is a good idea especially for smaller fish.

Ken

4. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

Jake the Fish Valued Member Member

I plan on giving it to my pleco's.

5. Stang Man

Stang Man Well Known Member Member

Cut a piece into quarters and fish will go for it. don't cook it give it to them fresh.

6. Chris123

Chris123 Well Known Member Member

Not to be hacking this thread or anything but

Do you remove uneaten peices or do they eat the whole thing?

CB

7. steed1172

steed1172 Well Known Member Member

remove uneaten pieces as they can foul the water if left in.

8. Stang Man

Stang Man Well Known Member Member

depends on how strong your tank is biologicaly take out as they eat it

9. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

My Pleco is in the same spot almost every morning waiting for his zucchini. I remove it after two hours. After two hours he's eaten through the slice in almost a perfect circle. The zucchini looks like a little bowl :)

Some members feed their Pleco's at night. They leave it in over night and remove any leftover the next morning.

Ken

10. d

domingo3 Valued Member Member

I'll have to try that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice