zoo med lights

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Lighting' started by PhishHead, Apr 9, 2010.

1. PhishHeadValued MemberMember

:;bbq

looking to get a new light for my 30 gallon tank just wondering any suggestions the light i have in it. Is who knows how old and even if its the right light.

Zoo med lights seem to be sold most by me. just wondering what type i should be getting.

Tank 30 Gallon
    1 yellow tang
    2 yelllow tail damsels
    1 blue/green chromis
    1 cleaner shrimp
    3 snails
    Live rock

2. Stang Man

Stang ManWell Known MemberMember

Send a link so I can check them out!

3. shannon66New MemberMember

4. Stang Man

Do T-5s 2 460 actinic and 2 10,000 k

5. shannon66New MemberMember

thanks man. And how about a 42 gallon hex coral tank with a few fish. havnt started that yet.

6. Stang Man

I would go with a metal hylide HQI with LED moon lights or just HQI clamp on type minimum of 150 watts with 14k bulb!

7. shannon66New MemberMember

anywhere to get cheap hqi clamp 150 watts. or goodones i heard jbj melt aftr a while

8. Stang Man

I was looking at same lights for my 30 cube I was looking at JBJ and viper and coralife now I.m looking at hqi with t5 and led moon lights the thing holding me back is how would the set on tank well they don't give much info on that part.And on clamp type some of the revues say customers have had problems wiyh the joints they have and the screw strips out because there plastic so not sure what I'm going to do.

9. shannon66New MemberMember

found this place on ebay makes custom moon lights cheap too
    DiGiKits.com Electronic Components

I picked up a 50/50 reef sun zoomed for my 30 gallon i really cant fit any other lights on it. unless i buy a new fixture. u think this will do for now.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  10. OP
    OP
    P

PhishHeadValued MemberMember

sorry didnt notice i was logged in under my Gf name ha prob a little confusing.

Also dont know if im going to do Metal halide for my hex. Ill be getting some moon lights, and prob two t5s, 1 460 actinic, and 1 10,000k. will this work.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  11. Stang Man

I just bought a 150 watt metal halide clamp on at local LFS I ended up getting a coralife HQI works awesome now I can grow The good corals that I really want It was the best light and with a warranty! To answer your question T5 will work get the highest watt for that fixture 460 actinic will work and 10 k will work for soft corals and a few hard as well just make sure that you ask about lighting needs for each type that you want to keep. I have 2- 65 watt compact flourescents on my 29 and does great and had no problems with the reefs I kept in them along time ago so the T5 are about the same but are about to be obselete so I would do HO T5's to get better than just t-5 But as they say MH is the better choice!

12. shannon66New MemberMember

how much did that cost you. Seem to run around 200 bucks or so.

13. Stang Man

It was 299.99 plus tax and well worth it! now I can grow whatever I choose so The light is a 14 K and has a awsome shimmer affect. I seen online same light and it was same price but shippingcost was a little more don't now what that was so it was well woth it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice