Zoo Med Excavator Clay As Plant Fertilizer

Latrell

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm just curious and looking for some tips and answers but I extracted clay from my old excavator clay substrate I had used in my leopard gecko tank....I made sure I baked the substrate and I filter out a small amount of the clay in a container and pour the sandy mixture back in a different container with the original substrate ...so has anyone else had try this method of extracting clay or is this a kinda new?? I tried searching it up and can't find any forums or videos about people extracting clay from zoo med excavator clay.....Imma try to post pics of the clay when it dries out a bit....
Any advice or tips with the clay for a plants?

Btw I love experminting and trying new things...it's might sound odd but I'm just curious...lol.

Last edited:

Latrell

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Pic1.the big container has the sifted substrate with no large grain sand or tiny pebbles/just clay fine sand and silt
Pic2.the large grain particles that didn’t go through the strainer.
Pic3.i saturated the mixture in the large container and pour it a little bit in the coffee filter that’s pinned to a measuring cup...repeated this process till I have no more cloudy water and looks like pic2.
Pic4.the the clay water mixture in the measuring cup
Pic5.is the clay water mixture I would pour on a small metal pot/cup and slow boil it to let the water evaporate till I get a really milky consistency and I let the mixture air dry for a few hours or days depending on how much of the clay there is ...when it’s moldable I make it into a little ball and cover it in plastic wrap for now .......that’s the process...lol

Attachments

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom