Zone 5 Plants

Lynn78too

What is everyone's favorite pond plant for zone 5 or 4-6? Last year I had ok luck with my water iris as in it died in July after it bloomed. My cattails never grew and I had a pretty grassy thing but I don't remember what it was. Somehow my frog bit looked horrid despite it taking over my indoor aquarium and my water hyacinth looked like a soggy rotting bleh! I did grow green hair algae like a champ though, so yay me?!

Note, I had a small deck pond, this year it will be bigger which will hopefully cut down on the chances of algae and the plants I can grow.

abarb

Anacharis/elodea grew in my friend’s pond even when it was frozen.

Lynn78too

abarb said:
Anacharis/elodea grew in my friend’s pond even when it was frozen.
Ok, thanks! I even have some growing in my tank too so it's free.

FishRFriendz

Nyphoides Hydrophylla is doing amazingly well in the cold even when there was no heat and it was around 40F water temp for a few days before I got heaters. It's doing the best of all my plants that have lily pads, maybe it just doesn't hibernate. Salvinia minima is doing alright but I do partial cover the container ponds and it was some of the first to get heat. The biggest amazon frogbits don't look great but they don't look like they're dying either. Hope the dwarf water lettuce holds out a bit longer.

Under water
Dwarf sag is doing very well. Amazon swords are doing ok. Val is receeding.
Water sprite completely disappeared with not a trace to be found, I'm guessing it can't handle anything under 50F.
Of course all the lilies and aponogetons went into hibernation long ago.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom