Zombie's other 20gL 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Members Fish Tanks' started by ZombieKeepr, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Z

ZombieKeepr Well Known Member Member

Zombie's Congo Puffer Tank

Sooo ... I'm up later then I should be suffering the effects of a possible spider bite, but I've been thinking[*gasp* Dangerous, I know!! xD ]

Anyways, I've been contemplating what I'm gonna do with this other 20gL I have. The initial thought was to set it up for my GFs bettas, but I'm pretty sure that idea isn't gonna happen now because by the time she gets here, our betta stock will be different. So ... having virtually every other tank I wanted, I've decided to do something I've always wanted. An african cichlid tank.

Now, Mbunas and the like are too big for a 20, Kribs are slightly out of the question because naturally, I wanna keep them in a community type setup[have a lot of those] yet, they can be aggressive, so ... what was I left with? Tanganyikans ... shell dwellers.

I've wanted them for FOREVER and now is my chance.

So here's what I've got so far:

20gL with a 10gal CF light[it'll be temporary until I get my new job but eh]
    play sand/shells
    coral skeleton

So then ... from here, I'm thinking about getting some lace rock, a bunch more shells, a 30"x12" light/lid combo, & a tetra whisper 30i filter.

Any thoughts?

Of course, I've also contemplated dumping the play sand in my garden[yes, I have a garden ... lol I like plants if you can't tell by my aquariums xD ] and just going black sand ... but we will see.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Very cool <3
    You may want to upgrade that filter to a 40. Good general rule for HOBs is to go double your tank's actual volume.

3. OP
    OP
    Z

That's a good thought ... I put 2 AT 5-15s on my 20gH[and my other 20gL which contains bettas] so that's about double the filtration but instead of doing something like that[I randomly had all those filters on hand, I have to get a new one for this tank] ... maybe I'll just do what I really SHOULD and get a canister filter? I mean, they're cheap enough for the results they produce!

4. Eienna

Quite possibly. Not sure that's really necessary for a tank that size, but then I wouldn't know. I have to think that even some of the lower-GPH ones may have too much of a current for shellies in that size.
    I do like how low-profile they are by comparison to HOBs though.

5. OP
    OP
    Z

True ... IDK ... lol I guess I'll just maybe go with an AquaClear 50. I'm not so worried about expenses, just the overall health of my shellies. :p

Anyways, I'm not a patient guy:
    [​IMG]

xD xD There's still much to do so keep an eye out for updates.

6. OP
    OP
    Z

It's a little better:
    [​IMG]

I can't wait to get this beast cycled and stocked! :D

7. Eienna

Yah! :D

8. OP
    OP
    Z

I added 7 gambusia affinis from my pond to cycle this tank[technically, it could be considered partially cycled but eh]. I'm debating what to do with the species over all. Part of me wants to give them away, part of me wants them to be the only thing out in my pond, and part of me wants to just keep them in with the shellies[if they do end up getting along although the pond would become empty].

9. OP
    OP
    Z

Soo ... we might be going to the petstore on Saturday. I'm hoping I can find my shellies there, TBH. It might be rushing a bit, but considering I'm pretty good with WCs and what not, I'd definitely be nice to save shipping costs. lol

Of course, my friend is trying SO hard to convince me to get another puffer. lol Umm ... considering I'd rather not get the 120 yet[moving 200 miles soon-ish] and I'm waiting to really gather most of this tank's real equipment ... yeah, no. xD Of course, that's never stopped him from adding in fish and a puffer isn't unreasonable. It'd just be something in my way as far as having cichlids goes. xD

10. Eienna

Haha. n_n

11. OP
    OP
    Z

He might have convinced me! xD I was staring at it blankly thinking "oooo ... a puffer WOULD be cool." IDK anymore! xD xD for now, priority would lie in upgrading the filter, but even that isn't bad. It's a 150GPH pump with a sponge and 2 cycled bio-wheels from the 55's dead Penguin filter[*cries and buys another*]

This might be the finalized 'scape minus a few pieces of lace rock and a few more plants:
    [​IMG]

12. OP
    OP
    Z

It's finally clear! xD

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

anyways ...

I'm thinking. I'm kinda wanting an oddball type fish. Cichlids that can live in shells, a puffer in general, etc ... and then I FINALLY made a connection.

There's a fish that kinda sorta follows both of those[it burrows, is from Africa, & is a puffer]. The Congo puffer!

I'm kinda ... eh? about this tank having salt[it gets expensive fast and puffers need frequent large water changes] so this thought made me kinda happy as Congos are FW. They're piscivorous so the gambusia would be quick snacks, but those things are extremely healthy but a bit out of control in the pond[1 scoop without trying apparently catches 9] so if they get eaten, it'd technically be for the better.

13. Eienna

Uhhh...you may wish to read about
    Tetraodon miurus

14. OP
    OP
    Z

What about it specifically?

Andddd ... I added a few plants ... there's a few more to come but generally, that's the layout! :p Thoughts?
    [video=youtube;BFx5jC4E5r0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFx5jC4E5r0[/video]

15. Eienna

Its general attitude and the fact that it eats other fish. Are you planning on keeping the shellies with it?

Cool tank. Be aware that shellies may well rearrange the shells for you.

16. OP
    OP
    Z

Oh! I'm sorry ... wasn't very clear on that. I know that it eats other fish. I was basically meaning I'd choose whichever one I saw first for this tank. lol

17. Eienna

I see. :)

18. OP
    OP
    Z

Well, minus needing the water sprite, congo fern, & anubias, it's scape is done! xD

[​IMG]

Lets just hope Spyder[the puffer to be] won't get stuck in anything. xD

19. Eienna

Our GSP is named Kirby. :D

20. OP
    OP
    Z

soooooo ... an update, I'm wanting to re-arrange some things and my 20gH was vacated.

So, everything is going into that tank minus some rock ornaments & probably the coral skeletons. The lighting will be a lot less then it'd be on this tank so it'll be interesting to see if the plants can handle this.

This tank and a 10 is going to my mom[gonna keep one 10 and my 5.5 just cuz I can].

Last picture before I rip into it:
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice