Zoa polyp closed tight turning brown

Fishproblem

So the polyp on my new Utter Chaos zoa that wouldnt open is now turning brown.

Tank is at 1.025 SG, temp between 77.3 and 78.5°F. 0/undetectable ammonia, 0 nitrite, 2-5 nitrate. I haven’t tested for phosphate yet but will on a moment.

Polyp wouldn’t open when I brought it home last week, and hasn’t budged. The other four polyps on the frag are open and seem happy. Today I noticed the angry one is brown all over.

What’s wrong? Is it melting? And what do I do to make sure whatever this is doesn’t spread? I dipped in coral rx when acclimating, but that was it.

Fishproblem

Just an update in case anyone having the same problem finds this thread. Here's a pic under white light (the other polyps are closed because this was taken after lights out). You can see there's green and brown on it. It appears to be algae on the polyp, and other reefers have advised that I chill out and either just let it play out, or try to blow/brush off the algae and then just let it play out.

After taking this photo, I used a pipette to blow off a good deal of the algae. This obviously ticked the polyp off even more. We'll see if it does any good. I'm going to just let it be unless the other polyps start looking rough.

Tallen78

Fishproblem said:
So the polyp on my new Utter Chaos zoa that wouldnt open is now turning brown.

Tank is at 1.025 SG, temp between 77.3 and 78.5°F. 0/undetectable ammonia, 0 nitrite, 2-5 nitrate. I haven’t tested for phosphate yet but will on a moment.

Polyp wouldn’t open when I brought it home last week, and hasn’t budged. The other four polyps on the frag are open and seem happy. Today I noticed the angry one is brown all over.

What’s wrong? Is it melting? And what do I do to make sure whatever this is doesn’t spread? I dipped in coral rx when acclimating, but that was it.

What are ur other parameters ?

Fishproblem

only other parameter i can test for is phosphate. nitrate and phosphate are both undetectable - problem! my zoas are just okay right now. the one polyp never did open. it melted away and took another one with it. on the advice of a few others, i'm going to start dosing brightwell neonitro and neophos today, as it just arrived. I think i just don't have enough or big enough corals and livestock in the tank to get the nitrates and phosphate up by feeding alone right now.

Tallen78

Fishproblem said:
only other parameter i can test for is phosphate. nitrate and phosphate are both undetectable - problem! my zoas are just okay right now. the one polyp never did open. it melted away and took another one with it. on the advice of a few others, i'm going to start dosing brightwell neonitro and neophos today, as it just arrived. I think i just don't have enough or big enough corals and livestock in the tank to get the nitrates and phosphate up by feeding alone right now.
You need to check ur alk and calcium

fish 321

Honestly fishlore isn't the best place to ask saltwater questions. A slatwater specific forum would get you better answers

Fishproblem

fish 321 said:
Honestly fishlore isn't the best place to ask saltwater questions. A slatwater specific forum would get you better answers
Sure, but if no one contributes content to the saltwater forum here, it'll never get better. I try to make sure I start threads about all my saltwater q's here because if someone has the answer I want to hear it, but also so that I can post updates for others to see!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom