Zoa Issue

Esimm03
Hi,
So I recently upgraded my reef tank from a 15 liter to a 50 liter, a couple of weeks ago I went on a week holiday, I couldn't find anyone to look after the tank and as I only had coral and a cuc at that time I put a small bit of food in and lowered the salinity to 1.020, which is low I know but I wanted to prevent it getting high, I then covered the tank in cling film to stop evaporation (I had the lights on timer)

When I came back (around lunchtime) the first thing I noticed was the lights were off, it turns out that I had forgotten to turn the timer on ‍♂️ (so they had a week in the dark), everything else was fine, all the coral seemed ok, apart from my zoas...
My fire and ice zoas and a small green one (forgotten the name) have made a full recovery and are thriving well, one of the colonys however are not doing so well, there are a few polyps left however they haven't opened up since the incident.

Is there anything I can do to get them back or are they diying and there is not much I can do?

Thanks,
Ethan
20180605_094819.jpg

P.s that white blob is some glue I put over a small red worm like thing that was a pest.

DutchAquarium
sometimes a iodine soak can help perk them up a bit. It's going to be rough for a while though. I also recommend checking out reef 2 reef. We have saltwater people here, but those people are the real saltwater enthusiasts.

Esimm03
sometimes a iodine soak can help perk them up a bit. It's going to be rough for a while though. I also recommend checking out reef 2 reef. We have saltwater people here, but those people are the real saltwater enthusiasts.
Hi,

I'll look into iodine, any specific brands recommend?

I've seen some reef 2 reef threads, that have been helpful, I may sign up but I'd feel like I'm betraying fishlore

Ethan

Floundering_Around
I would do a water change and raise the salinity back to the level it was originally at. Doing an iodine dip won't hurt anything. Using iodine from the pharmacy will be fine; I use just enough to turn the water brown so that I can't see the bottom of the container I'm using, then do the dip for five to ten minutes. This is just what I did with my corals when they needed it.

Esimm03
I would do a water change and raise the salinity back to the level it was originally at. Doing an iodine dip won't hurt anything. Using iodine from the pharmacy will be fine; I use just enough to turn the water brown so that I can't see the bottom of the container I'm using, then do the dip for five to ten minutes. This is just what I did with my corals when they needed it.
Ok, I'll take a look in the pharmacy in the next few days and dip it when I do a WC (if I can get the plug off the rock as I glued it)

Esimm03
Ok, so I just went to get some from a pharmacy and apparently the in government recently banned it from high street pharmacys and I'm not sure how to get it, (online I'd guess) but just saw on your page your in the us, so I'd guess it's different laws.

Anything else that might work?

Floundering_Around
If you go to your LFS they should have coral dips available, such as coral rx etc. If it's a small enough rock, you can dip the entire rock.
For now, I would do the water change to get your salinity back up asap

Esimm03
If you go to your LFS they should have coral dips available, such as coral rx etc. If it's a small enough rock, you can dip the entire rock.
For now, I would do the water change to get your salinity back up asap
Ok, I have a small amount of coral dip and dip each coral before it goes in, I'll try with what I've got and get some more.

At the moment the salinity is 1.025, I lowered it a few months ago, and it was 1.027 when I came back, and it was back to 1.025 in a few days.

Ethan

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
tdileo
Replies
Views
Esimm03
Replies
Views
Fishproblem
Replies